GTX 750ti Dual-monitor and crash issues

Slurmalyst

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Hey all:

I recently picked up a Dell XPS 8700 along with a video card upgrade, a Gigabyte GeForce 750ti.

I've been running this setup since last Friday. I'd ultimately like to get 4 monitors running, but I initially have 2. One is a Dell 2407WFP monitor, the other a Dell 1901FP. I have been plugging the 2407WFP into a DVI-I port by way of a VGA-to-DVI converter (this is only because I didn't have a spare DVI-I cable) and the 1901FP into the DVI-D port.

In principle, it seems this combination should work -- I found a thread here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19563396

There, someone claims this exact setup is working for them. The XPS 8700 has a 460W power supply and the Gigabyte card lists a 400W requirement.

However, I have had problems that have gotten progressively worse.

Day 1, the video card was tricky about dual monitors. Both monitors would go black when I went DVI-D with the 2407WFP and DVI-I with the 1901FP, but they worked fine individually, and dual monitors worked fine when I reversed them.

Day 2, I had a single crash in the middle of playing a graphics-intensive game after several hours of gaming. The monitors first went black, then the PC shut down.

Day 3, I had two such crashes. I thought the issue might be temperature-related, so I began monitoring CPU/GPU temperature. The warmest it has gotten is 60 degrees since this time, and usually it's in the 30s. All of the fans seem to be running fine.

Day 4, I had a crash when simply running Chrome and Excel. I later had a crash when playing a game.

Day 5, I wondered if the issue might be PSU-related. I unplugged the DVD drive and the spare HD, just to see if that improved things, but it only got worse. I effectively found I was unable to play games, consistently crashing after 5-10 minutes. At this point, I unplugged the 1901FP monitor. Since then, I've only done about an hour of gaming, but no crashes.

Day 6 (today) I can't get dual monitors to work at all. When I plug in a second monitor, both monitors go black, similar to the day 1 issues, but now it doesn't matter what combination of cables I use.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I should replace the graphics card, upgrade the PSU, or some other option.

Slurmalyst

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

It's an Acbel 460W. Model no. 1XMMV.

Suggestion on the cable is a good one, though I'm thinking the problems go beyond this. I'll probably end up replacing these monitors when I get the 4-monitor setup, but first wanted to get things running as is.

Is it possible that the 460W Acbel is lousy enough that it can't consistently do the work of a 400W PSU?

TRENDING THREADS