New build or upgrade existing?

jerkeejoe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
So my home desktop is a Dell 9100 that I've had for probably 5 years now. The motherboard, processor and GPU are very outdated. The storage, on the other hand, is brand new (Samsung 256 GB SSD and 3 TB HDD).

I'm debating building a new machine, but had the thought that other day that I could save some cash by simply buying a new motherboard, processor, memory, and GPU and installing them into my current case using the remaining components from the old machine. I'm unsure, though, if the power source and cooling will be sufficient. I also realize that I will essentially need a clean windows install with all of the new hardware.

Whether I build or upgrade I'm thinking the following components:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8G9dP6

I figure a complete build will be an additional $500 or so. I really have no need for a second machine, so I'm leaning toward the upgrade option. Will this work in my case? Will I need a new power supply going from 5 years old to these components?

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I would say a completely new build apart from the storage, I wouldn't risk using a dell powersupply for much newer demanding parts. Definitely get a new psu and maybe get a new case because I think dell makes their cases Dell specific, so some parts might not fit it

scaniatruckfan

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
I agree with alichowdry. I would not use a dell power supply for a gaming rig. You should only re-use the storage. Just get the parts you listed and for a case get a Corsair Carbide 200R or a 300R if you need lots of fans and storage space

jerkeejoe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Gotcha. If I end up needing a new case and PS anyway, I'll simply buy new storage as well, start an entire new build, and keep the Dell as a fully functioning second machine for my wife and kids to surf the web, play simple games, etc...

Thanks to you both for the input! :)