Speed test....is something wrong here?

fyulonius

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
I'm supposed to get only 50 Mbps down speed.

I just tested with speedtest.net:
10 ping 128 down speed......

Does this seem odd??

I'm not going to complain on the speed report but i'm pretty sure that don't seem right.

vesp3r

Distinguished
it pretty much depends on the server you chose. Test with international server and you will see major drops in the speed. F.E my speed gives ~90mbps if i chose the closest server. but if i choose one on the other side of the continent it drastically drop to 2mbps

It also depends where you download from. Torrent downloading will never give you the speeds from the test, same goes for downloads from some international servers. It also depends on the traffic. if you are downloading at "rush hour" then sure you will get lower speed

Reactions: fyulonius

fyulonius

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013

I live in Utah
this test was done 2200hrs/ 10:00pm@ local servers, Comcast is my provider:

Vancouver:

East coast server sure does make alot of difference:

Specially the ping.
Japan:

I guess I have to conclude that even with high DL speed, location/ping is the actual matter, thats if i want to play international games.

Light only moves through fibre at the speed of light... in the case of glass, that's around 200,000 kilometers a second. Given there's about 10,000km between you and Japan, that means there's a minimum of 50ms latency each way, or 100ms round trip. Your pings are about right.

I guess the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" applies regarding the 50Mb/s limit - though you may want to check that it's what you're actually paying for on the bill.

vesp3r

Distinguished

Well If online games feel somewhat laggy you can always give a chance to Leatrix latency fix which i find very good for me.
WTFast (some sort of vpn) is a paid product that also tends to reduce your lag and only recently i heared of a free alternative called Kill Ping (i do not vouch for the last one)
Anyway if you are paying for that full ~130mbps down speed yo should check with your ISP... other than that i think you have pretty good and stable internet