No HDMI signal from GPU upgrade. Help please?

gamenoob11

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
I own a HP pavilion elite m9252p pc. Found here:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01386878
It has had some upgrades:
There are 8 gb of ram. It runs 64-bit windows 7. PSU upgraded to 500 Watts. CPU should be the same. It was good enough for most games and software before.
The GPU was originally replaced by a GTX 9800+. decent card, handled modern games well enough.
But it lacked the protectors that cards nowadays have. Long story short spark fried the card from trying to connect the VGA cable.
So i bought a new one, XFX R9 285. Another long story short connected it up, plugged in to my TV to test the signal but there was none. I could hear the GPU running.
Now, recall that my previous card was burned. I didn't have a chance to uninstall its drivers and such.
From my "calculations" there should be enough power in the system to run fine. I'm 99% sure that i don't have the cables necessary to try to use the integrated graphics ti get into BIOS. All manuals have long since disappeared. Except for all the XFX R9 285 stuff. Maybe i fried it from handling it wrong but i don't think so.
I would like if you guys could help me resolve this ASAP but there's really no rush. :)

gamenoob11

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

I don't have an "older" one available. All I have is the R9. The board is from about 2008 from what I could tell from little research. And i don't think I ever updated it.

gamenoob11

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

How do i update it if I can't see what i'm doing? I don't have the cables to attempt to use the integrated graphics.

tkhsda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
The newer gpus only work with uefi BIOSes so you won't be able to see the POST at all. Graphics cards are mostly plug and play even if you have the wrong drivers windows just loads the vga ones. I had the same issue with a 280x it wouldn't work with a g43 p43 or x48 (you have g33 is even older) . Even x58 and z67 were hit and miss. They were just starting to use uefi back then. It worked fine with z77 and higher chipsets. I'm not 100% certain but a 280x was a renamed hd7970, I know it was a rebrand just not sure about the specific model, so anything before that should work fine.