Looking for ~$600 3x monitor setup ($CAD)

MrBubblez98

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Hey everyone!

In the near future I will hopefully be getting a bigger desk that can fit a triple monitor setup, sell my current 2 different monitors and go for 3 of the same monitors, or 2 the same and a third w/ a swivel. I don't plan on doing 5760 x 1080 gaming as my 280 couldn't handle that, I just want it for single monitor gaming, and extras for whatever, or just full productivity when doing homework , coding (that's why I want the swivel), or whatever else I'm doing. Could anyone find me some decently priced monitors (~$600 total, less is better) that follow these specs:

1080p
? 5ms
DVI at least, HDMI is a +
small-ish bezel
A dim 'Power On' light is preferred, not required
ASUS, BenQ, or other high-quality, well known brand
One w/ a swivel if possible (not needed)
23"+ (if necessary, 21"+)

I'm Canadian, so please use Canadian websites (amazon.ca, ncix.com, newegg.ca etc.) On top of the normal price there is also a $12.25 environmental fee that gets added on and taxed, too, so please keep that in mind. I've looked around a bit, but I don't have a real knowledge of what's good or bad in terms of monitors. Any help / input for this is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Solution
This might not be helpful, but I'll throw it out there in case.

A little extra on your budget would get you to two 2 x Dell U2415: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=860-BBDY
They're on special in Canada at the moment with $100 off.

You could sell one of your current screens and pick up two of the Dells. It blows your budget a bit, and they're not perfect gaming screens, but I'd suggest they're perfectly adequate for gaming unless you're super-sensitive or a high level twitch/fps gamer or something.

What you get for the extra money is 1200p screens, the extra vertical resolution makes them better for productivity tasks. You get factory calibration, USB3...
This might not be helpful, but I'll throw it out there in case.

A little extra on your budget would get you to two 2 x Dell U2415: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=860-BBDY
They're on special in Canada at the moment with $100 off.

You could sell one of your current screens and pick up two of the Dells. It blows your budget a bit, and they're not perfect gaming screens, but I'd suggest they're perfectly adequate for gaming unless you're super-sensitive or a high level twitch/fps gamer or something.

What you get for the extra money is 1200p screens, the extra vertical resolution makes them better for productivity tasks. You get factory calibration, USB3 ports, Dell's premium pixel guarantee, ultra-slim bezels (on 3 sides) and one of if not the best monitor stand in the industry that rotates. I currently run 3 x 1200p screens primarily for productivity and have found that for me, personally, 1 landscape and 2 rotated into portrait mode provides the ideal workspace. 2 of those screens work brilliantly together, as you can put them both in portrait (or leave them in landscape) and the ultra-thin bezels give you a great workspace.

I realise it blows your budget and it doesn't quite meet your stated requirements either, so perhaps not a helpful suggestion. But I just thought I'd throw them in as an option, particularly if your priority is productivity, those Dells are fantastic screens and may be worth considering.

As an aside if you do end up with 3 identical monitors. You shouldn't rule out eyefinity gaming on a single 280. That my exact setup (with 3x1200p monitors as I stated above). Not all games work (Witcher 3, for example, I have to drop to a single screen). There are plenty of fun (IMHO) games which aren't ultra-demanding which run brilliantly across three screens (TF2, Portal 2). I've found some AAA games (Tomb Raider, for example), I can make a choice between low-medium settings across three screens, or high settings on a single screen. For me, the choice is almost always 3 screens at lower settings... it's just heaps more fun (for me personally). For sure you have to make big compromises on quality and some games you can't run at all, but don't rule it out as an option.

Solution

MrBubblez98

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I appreciate the suggestion, but as you said it doesn't really meet my requirements. What I'm looking for is a triple monitor setup of some sorts, that is aesthetically pleasing and functional.

It's not that I wouldn't be able to, it's just I like to play games like CSGO where more than one screen would hinder my performance. But I agree, I do think it would be fun for some games, so long as I can run it :p

Michael