Monitor upgrade question

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
So im looking to upgrade my monitor to something better than what i currently have. My monitor currently is ok for low end-middle end gaming as in those games dont tend to tear as much when i play. However when i start to get to more modern games, say anything past devil may cry 4, i see lots of tearing on the screen from witcher 2, to resident evil 5 and other games. This also gets into my recordings and its started to get rather annoying. My monitor *claims* to refresh at 60hz which shows on my settings however reguardless i still see alot of screen tearing in my games whether or not im recording.
Im looking for a new monitor that is for gaming or at least with faster response times and refresh rates so that i no longer get these tears. Resolution does not matter so long as it is at 1080, can be higher, but i need to not see tearing anymore. I have been trying to find monitors but all the ones i keep finding cost over $200. Im looking to try and get a monitor under $100 but i can spend up to $125 for a monitor unless what im looking for is only 200+.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Solution
Response times are for ghosting and will make no difference to tearing. My monitor is 2ms, tears or waves on every game. Yet my other 5ms does less noticeably and I don't see on my other 8ms. But these are also not trustworthy numbers as they are often best possible and not average. Tearing can happen on all monitors as this is just when the monitor and gpu are not in sync. They could both be doing 60 per second but if it's just refreshing in the middle of the other then you tear. That's what vsync will help with and you should just turn that on.

TeamSupreme

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

I know that your budget is $125 but I would severely recommend getting the monitor I am about to post below. It will make you proud and has awesome specs with a 2ms refresh rate which is PLENTY for gaming.
take a look at it, I own it and it is perfect.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014377&cm_re=ben_q_24_inch-_-24-014-377-_-Product

Response times are for ghosting and will make no difference to tearing. My monitor is 2ms, tears or waves on every game. Yet my other 5ms does less noticeably and I don't see on my other 8ms. But these are also not trustworthy numbers as they are often best possible and not average. Tearing can happen on all monitors as this is just when the monitor and gpu are not in sync. They could both be doing 60 per second but if it's just refreshing in the middle of the other then you tear. That's what vsync will help with and you should just turn that on.

Solution

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

even with Vsync, that still happens on my games, sometimes it turns out to be worst when i do it as it seems to happen more often.

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Late response i know, but even with it set in control panel of amd as well as the game it still happens.