I5-4460 Possible Failure?

Zizzy

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
I recently built a new PC and have had poor performance and believe I have zeroed in on the problem. Using CPUID HWMonitor I have determined that my CPU cores are running way to hot for the CPU even when under the slightest of loads like a YouTube video or game download the temps shoot right up to 90-98 Celsius. I am using the stock intel CPU cooler and I read that idle should be like high 30's low 40's and 69-70 gaming with the cooler. Do I have a faulty CPU or Fan or because this is my first build do I need to adjust some fan settings in bios?

Thanks,
ZiZzY

Specs- My Rig - I5-4460, MSI GTX 970, Samsung EVO 850 (250gb), Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard,
Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Haswell runs hot like that. It's not abnormal, but it's also not ideal. A descent aftermarket cooler will help some. Or you could crank up your fan in the BIOS, but your ears might not like that so much.

Zizzy

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
UPDATE- Just being in BIOS my PC wanted to freeze a shutdown from CPU heat and my CPU fan failed to go beyond 2045rpm. I also didn't see were to adjust fan speed in BIOS any more tips? Thanks.