Strange occasional boot problem - mobo or PSU?

Inquirer

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
This has been happening on and off for a while now, but seems to be getting more frequent.

Usually at boot, the CPU/case fans rev up for a few seconds, then quiet down - as usual. Sometimes however, they stay loud longer than normal. It might be a split second or two longer, or it might be several seconds. Also the GPU fan, which doesn't seem to get loud at all on a normal boot, sometimes pipes up considerably. When they do stay loud longer, booting seems to be.. interrupted? You can hear the DVD drive read several times instead of once, and display takes longer to show up.

This has happened only once or twice, but at one point - after taking longer than usual - display never DID show up! All the fans quieted down, you could hear Windows boot normally, but there was no signal to monitor. Regular restart didn't seem to help, but switching the PC/PSU off and on again made it boot normally.

I'm left guessing it's either the mobo (voltage regulator problem?) or PSU. Both of them are getting on in years at this point. It did the same thing with a previous GPU, so graphics card seems unlikely to be the culprit. Also once it boots up, everything works like a charm. No random freezes or restarts.

Should I be preparing for an upgrade? Does it seem more likely to be the mobo or PSU? Kind of hoping it's not the mobo, since that would mean new CPU/memory as well. Don't have the right spare parts to test with either, unfortunately. Or perhaps it's something else I've not even thought of? Any input appreciated! :)

pasanwc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
maybe your PSU is dying. Did you try to boot the pc without your graphics card? (with integrated graphics)
but 750Ti only require less than 75W maximum so it shouldn't be a problem.
Try unplugging everything and cleaning the motherboard. Might be a dust problem

Inquirer

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Certainly could be the PSU having issues! It's just strange that this would be the only symptom. I would think there'd be reboots under load or random freezes/crashes, but so far none of the sort. But stranger things have happened I suppose.
Haven't tried integrated graphics yet. Since it did the same thing with the previous GPU, which was quite old and needed even less power, it doesn't look like it should be GPU related. But probably shouldn't rule anything out.. it's something to try!
When the GPU was switched, there was a bit of general cleaning done. Won't hurt to do it more thoroughly tho', maybe it's just pesky dust after all! :)
Thanks for the imput! Gave me some ideas to play around with.