Which Websites are Best?

Solution
cant say about buying parts from amazon since i've bought exclusively from newegg but i have pushed quite a bunch of other sales through amazon.

if buying direct from amazon shipping is typically very fast and payment verifications take no time at all. i've never had any issues. i cannot say about returns as i have not had any to date. if i buy in the morning often it gets shipped out the same day, if not then the next day generally.

mostly i've bought dvds, movies, series, batteries and other misc goods from amazon.

shipping from newegg is hit or miss. if you buy over the weekend it goes out monday by noon typically but if you buy later in the week sometimes it will not ship out for a day or more. they have a wonky fraud protection...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Each user has his or her own criteria:

PAYMENT OPTIONS
Amazon has the upper hand since you can order without using a credit card. Newegg used to accept money orders but they stopped that a few years ago.

SHIPPING TIME
I think Newegg has Amazon beat in this category. In the past, I could order something before 3pm from Newegg with their free shipping and have it packaged, shipped and delivered to me the next day. With Amazon, unless you have a Prime Account your order is usually held for up to a week before it's even sent out (to protect Prime probably) and on average, about 7-15 days.

REVIEWS
This is a close one. They both allow you to skip to the bad/lower rating stars. However, you can't edit your review on Newegg like you can on Amazon. So I would have to give this one to Amazon

PRODUCT SEARCHES/FILTERING
Although Amazon allows you to filter your search, I would have to give the edge to Newegg. They seem to have better filters in place that allows you to be more specific with what you are searching for.

Pricing
Since I've used both of them... if you eliminate the marketplace sellers I would say Newegg tends to be a tad cheaper most of the times.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
I've have to RMA twice on Newegg. I would say they are about even, though. I've heard a lot of good things about Amazon's returns. I do know that Newegg is very strict with returns... and they have an extrememly strict policy on "dead pixels" with it comes to monitors and TV's.. so that is one product I would rather go through Amazon to order.

cant say about buying parts from amazon since i've bought exclusively from newegg but i have pushed quite a bunch of other sales through amazon.

if buying direct from amazon shipping is typically very fast and payment verifications take no time at all. i've never had any issues. i cannot say about returns as i have not had any to date. if i buy in the morning often it gets shipped out the same day, if not then the next day generally.

mostly i've bought dvds, movies, series, batteries and other misc goods from amazon.

shipping from newegg is hit or miss. if you buy over the weekend it goes out monday by noon typically but if you buy later in the week sometimes it will not ship out for a day or more. they have a wonky fraud protection system as well: make sure the shipping address and billing address match or you may have issues. i have not had any problems with them myself and would continue to use them however for some their fraud protection and shipping times leave a bit to be desired. also in general its not worth paying for expedited as it will not help.

mostly i've bought pc parts from newegg. 5 complete systems worth.

i will note that i always buy monitors locally in case of dead pixels.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I buy primarily from Amazon, simply because of Prime. In addition to free 2 day, it sort of allows you to schedule when it arrives.
If I know I'm going to be home on Friday, order on Wednesday. I've never had a Prime shipment go beyond the 2 day.
Or, if I don't really care when it arrives...I can get $1 off a future music or Kindle purchase.

Returns are trivial. A few months ago, I ordered a new keyless deadbolt set for the front door. It arrived...wrong part.
Print the return label, UPS store around the corner, 30 minutes from delivery to sending back....and they already had the new (correct) one in the shipping pipeline.

On a couple of much smaller items...
"Um, this isn't really what I wanted"
Return
'OK, we'll refund your money. You can keep that one.' (Was cheaper for them, I guess)

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

One big issue with having Amazon Prime is.. many people are claiming they are given slightly higher prices with Amazon's own products marked for "Free Shipping with Prime" (NOT marketplace) while being logged on under their Prime Account. Those people said if they log out of their account or use a different browser that's not logged in... they are given lower prices.

USAFRet

Titan

Maybe, but I've not seen that.
And I just did a test on this...

2 PC's, my main PC that knows me at Amazon, and a Win 10 laptop that has never, ever been to Amazon, and knows nothing about my account, and from a different browser (Firefox vs IE)

Samsung 850 EVO. Exact same prices for the 120, 250, and 500GB drives from both.
Now...if we want to assume devilishness on the part of Amazon....it all comes from the same main IP address, so...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Your Amazon purchases... are you a Prime Member? I can't imagine them shipping anything out quickly unless you are... or unless you paid extra for shipping because their Free Shipping is extremely slow.

nope. i am not currently or previously a prime member. 99% of the time i always pick free shipping as well.

keep in mind that "when" the item gets shipped to the carrier and "how long" it takes to get to you are two completely different things. i'm east coast and amazon has close fulfillment centers so it gets to me fast (the how long) but i've noticed amazons part getting it to the carrier (when) is also very acceptable (same day or next day depending on time of order).

of course your mileage may vary and depending on which shipping centers get used and what in particular you buy the time could change.

shipping even on the slowest orders from amazon has always been faster than the quickest on newegg (i'm talking time for them to pack & send to carrier).

at least this has been my experience with dealing with both companies for 6-8 years and pushing at least $5-6k through both of them. as i said above, your mileage may vary.

also of note: i'm talking about newegg and amazon themselves, not the companies which sell on the marketplace.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Yes, you have a point there. Newegg ships from a location that's about 15-20 minutes away from my house. So their Free Shipping to me is almost always the next day.