Looking For Free To Play Active RPG & Non-Shooter Steam Games On Linux

G

Hey guys, as the title said. Are there any games like that? I have to limit my choices down to Windows but I want to find some cool games on Linux.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
They have a game called FarSky which is a sort of an RPG/Survival but it costs $2.99 right now which is almost free.

According to Steam Hardware Survey in May of 2015 Linux users made up a 0.88% of all people who have a Steam account.

So you are limiting yourself greatly by looking for Linux only.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

G

Yeah. Any other suggestions? Linux Steam games that cost money also?

Vynavill

Honorable
The hard part here is the fact you want it to be on Linux, which as Larry said severely limits your choice. I'm not absolutely sure it's available on Linux, or if it's still "pay2enjoy", but Spiral Knights should fit the bill.

Your best bet, at least IMO, is to actually get a bit "dirty" with utilities such as Wine, hoping they won't kill performance. You would have access to a good part of the Windows game park that way.

waxitman

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Take a look at Ark: Survival Evolved on steam. It isn't free but it runs great under Linux and is a ton of fun.

I have been unable to find a free, modern, non-shooter game for Linux for many years. X-Plane runs well natively but once again, not free. The Dragon Age series runs well under wine.

I think Steam is the best option, then there's buying second hand games and hoping for the best. Wine does a pretty good job these days, especially if you don't need to play the latest game as soon as it hits the shelf.