Upgraded my Gpu seems like a downgrade

brownie1992

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
So i switched out my crappy radeon HD7770 1gb for a gtx 970 and it seems like i have downgraded on certain games i only had the old card for counter strike as you dont need a high end gpu for that game, with the new card i assumed i would have the same fps as i did on the old cards or better but that is not the case, i will use counter strike as a example for what i am having trouble with, lower fps than before i know counter strike is cpu based but going from a 1GB to 4GB card should not be less fps yet it is, on the old card i was getting between 150-200 fps it would never drop lower or go higher, since playing on this new card i have seen my fps drop to 80 and real strange things like looking from left to right in game its 300 fps one side and the other it instantly drops to 130 which gives me insane input lag and other implications.

The other instance is with the witcher 3, i was playing on all high settings and it was only using 1300mb and the game was fine, the temp of the card was 80°c which was strange seeing as i can supposedly play on ultra with this card, so i put everything on ultra and the game would crash,close but still be playing with nothing on the screen leaving me to ctrl+alt delete and end it, there is just a plethora of games i have that are getting lower fps than i used to with a lesser card and i have messed with every setting in game and with nvidia and nothing has worked so far, i can provide any screen shots of gpu-z or anything like that from nearly any game if anyone would need to see something like that to help.

i3 3240
asrock z77 extreme4
nvidia gtx 970
corsair h105
corsair rm 650
corsair 750d case
2x 4gb corsair
hyper x 3k 240gb ssd
kingston v300 120 gb sdd
500gb segate hdd

this is my full build.

First that cpu probably bottlenecking your new 970. Some said when bottleneck happen at. Least the performance will not going to be worse than your slower card. That's not entirely correct. For games that much more cpu dependent you can actually have worse performance. Experience it myself when upgrading my gpu from GTS250 to GTX460 in the past. Luckily OCing my cpu solve the problem. In your case you most likely need to replace your cpu IF your cpu really are the root of the problem. Other than that try doing clean driver install using DDU (to remove both amd and nvidia leftover in your system).

brownie1992

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Surely switching for a new gpu one that is better should not bottleneck my cpu right? i have thought of this and seen it posted by others around, do you have any idea how i would check if it is