Upgrading old LGA 775 PC with new CPU and graphics card

alzex

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
I am thinking of upgrading my current PC. I want to use it primarily for Windows gaming.

I currently have a Pentium D and GeForce 7500 LE. The PC is a IMEDIA F9526 from Packard Bell. The motherboard for that model seems to be Cuba MS-7301 according to the Internet.

So I've thought: If I have a Pentium D then my socket type must be a LGA 775 (Socket T).

I want to upgrade my CPU and my graphics card. Therefore, I guess I have to search for a LGA 775 CPU. Would a Xeon E5450 be a good choice? It's one of the best for that socket, isn't it? I can get it for very cheap (about $50). It is supposedly the same performance as a more expensive Core 2 Quad Q9650 - is this true? What are the differences between both?

I can also get a GTX 570 for cheap (under $100), which seems like a good choice for a graphics card. It uses the PCI Express 2.0, which my motherboard seems to support. Is there any better for that price?

Basically, my most important question is I buy all this, is it guaranteed to work, as long as I install correctly, given my current system specifications?

What else have I to check to guarantee compatibility with my current system?

Anything else I have to check for? e.g. Is it likely my RAM be a bottleneck? etc...

Thank you.

CPU - I like the way you are thinking, but unfortunately that board will only support the Intel Celeron, Conroe and Pentium 4 processors. I.E.... it won't support the higher wattage CPUs like the Core 2 Quad. Look toward the E6600 or E6700 from the used market.

GPU - Anything will work perfectly fine whether it is the older GTX 570 or a new GTX 970. PCI Express 2.0 isn't the latest, but it also isn't a hindrance either. The GTX 570 is a bit too old and, will require a lot of power, and will kick out some fan noise. Best to look for something newer.

MEM - You have a memory limit of 2GB on your MB holding you back.

alzex

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
Thank you.

Is there no chance that a Core 2 Quad or Intel Xeon works, even if the motherboard does not explicitly support it, as long as I choose one with a 1066MHz FSB? Also, is my PSU fine? I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade from a Pentium D to the models you mentioned.

I know that there are some newer video cards, but won't a newer one require even more power? Will my power supply be enough for the GTX 570? And will it make more noise than my current one? I've looked at graphics card and GTX 570 seemed to be the high-end video card that gives the best performance in comparison to its price. I don't want to go for a newer one because it's expensive.

BTW, I heard that it may not be worth it to upgrade because the chipset may be a bottleneck. Is there any truth in this?

A GTX 970 uses less power then a GTX 570 and is faster then the 570 in everyway. But even a Q6600 let alone a C2D will bottleneck any of them cards severely regardless of how old the 570 is.

My suggestion would be to buy a AMD APU system and use the Integrated graphics and save up for a new graphics card.

You can get a 3ghz E8400 for $15 bucks on ebay, I actually bought 1 not to long ago for a HP Pavilion slimline system to replace its old Celeron 420 single core hunk of junk (Can ya baleave this thing had vista on it?). But I did have to update bios in order for it to work, and the board will not support the C2Q even though the sockets are the same.

alzex

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

Is the FSB all I have to check, though?

TRENDING THREADS