144Hz 1ms TN vs 60Hz 5ms IPS for gaming?

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
For an average gamer, ie not hardcore but not light gamer either, which would you recommend?

I plan on buying a 27" 1440p monitor later this summer, and for the same price, I can either get a 144Hz TN panel monitor or a 60Hz IPS panel monitor. I love the rich colors of the IPS pannels, but like the smoother action of the higher Hz TN pannel. While I do play FPS games, they are usually the horror/zombie type and not too often the warfare ones, plus rarely play online.

I used to game on a 24" 60Hz 5ms HD IPS panel, then recently switched to a 24" 144Hz 1ms HD TN panel. Both have their pro's & con's, and I really can't decide which would work better when I bump the size to 27" and resolution to 1440p.

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
If you have a friend with good color sense, you can calibrate TN colors pretty well. (If you get a calibration tool, those are better than calibration by eye, but expensive)

Regardless, since you're playing zombie games, not fast paced combat games I would say you're fine with a 60hz.

nucolos

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
First of all, do you have the horsepower to move games above 60 fps in 1440p? Personally i would choose the ips one, just for that, the response time is irrelevant for me, i used to have a 1ms one and the one i have now has around 15 ms from what ive read on reviews and i cant notice the difference.

Personally, I'd go with the IPS one. I've used TN panels in the past, and even calibrated with a Spyder/iOne device, they just felt "harsh". I've never had a problem with the games I play ("slow" FPS games - e.g. STALKER - and RTS games) on my IPS screens, and I find them more comfortable to look at (my eyes don't seem to feel fatigued).