Very first build (budget), needs advice/critique.

athom678

Honorable
Jun 12, 2015
Let me start off by apologizing if this is in the wrong section, I just created my account a few minutes ago.

I've recently decided to build my first gaming rig, which is something I've been wanting to do for about a decade now, but couldn't for one reason or another.

I compiled a list on pcpartpicker (link included below), but as I'm really new to building, and hardware in general, I wanted to see if my build was sound before jumping in and spending all that money.

My budget is ~$950, with a little flexibility either way. I do not need any peripherals (mouse, monitor, etc). I will need an OS however. I plan on playing newer games (Witcher 3, GTA V, Skyrim, etc). Running everything on ultra would be nice, but as long as I can run it comfortably, that's perfectly okay with me.

The build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/athom678/saved/#view=T6XG3C

The biggest question I had is if I should go ahead and buy the psu I have in the parts list, or continue using my old psu ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817226005 ). I tried researching it, but I'm worried that it won't be compatible with the motherboard or something as I wasn't able to find much about it. I do not plan on overclocking this rig anytime soon.

Sorry for being a little lengthy, and thanks for helping out a noob.

definitely change the PSU the one you have now is low quality.

Best Price/Performance PC for your budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.98 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($316.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Raidmax ATX-809B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($87.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $968.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 19:02 EDT-0400

athom678

Honorable
Jun 12, 2015

Thank you for the reply and for taking the time to put the list together =).

Is there any benefit to having an SSD other than the security of having your OS/important things on it if the HDD should fail for some reason?

Should I be looking for case fans/anything else to keep the computer cool outside of stock fans? My apartment is always at 75F in the summer, and colder in the winter. The case itself would be on a glass desk, so carpet isn't an issue for that.

SSD are more reliable, if you put OS on it PC will boot faster, files will open faster, files will transfer faster, games will load faster...

In my opinion that case is fine it has 3 pre-installed fans, but if you want you can change it