Could my Wireless USB Keyboard Prevent Boot?

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AMD motherboard . Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz CPU . PNY Optima16GB DDR3 Memory .Ultra U12-40873 LSX 650-Watt Power Supply . Seagate Barracuda
7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB HD

5 year old pc suddenly hangs at the ASUS splash screen. My pc buddy takes it home with him and can't get it to hang up; he thinks my wireless usb keyboard is causing this....anyone think he's right? thank you

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Well it's booting up again and rather than the keyboard, it seems to be the wireless mouse that was causing it. i put a new battery in it and its booting fine....could it be this simple? Was the bios scanning that mouse usb port and because of a weak battery, failed to boot? i'm happy the pc is running again; i'd just love to know why. thanks!

Reyaz123

Admirable
It could be that your computer is mistaking the USB device as a bootable USB. Also it may be set as the first bootable device

You could try this and see if it helps
Open your bios (it could be either the del, f2, f8, f1, key depending on the manufacturer)
Go to the boot tab
Move the hard drive to the top of the boot priority list (this can be done by pressing the - or + key after selecting a boot device from that list)
Save settings and exit the bios

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
thank you for that; my pc buddy messed around in the bios today and set everything...there was one of the four cores he said was unlocked so he set that to Auto. it's working fine now; thanks for the help...i really count on you guys.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
one more thing; can i use this utility called 'usb scrub'? i do some registry cleaning with ccleaner; would the scrub do anything to help? thanks

Reyaz123

Admirable

I cannot suggest that program to you, since I have never heard of it. Might want to look up reviews on that program with the good and the bad.