The (not so) age old question: 8gb or 16gb

ifyouhavetoask

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Hi, I'm making a PC build, and just about the last thing I need to think about is the RAM.
It's a game PC predominantly, but I also like to use things like Photoshop, Flash, perhaps Sony Vegas one day.
I casually use these applications to practice drawing with my tablet, though Photoshop can be a bit demanding at times.

I use things like Ableton and FL Studio for making music, and even plug my guitar in through an interface at times.

I'm wondering if this sounds like I should get 2 8gb sticks instead of 2 4gb sticks.
It's about a 50$ difference, and would be within my budget.
Not just fishing for a "yes", but I would love to hear confirmation or a counterargument toward my idea that I should get 16gb instead of 8.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you only do one of those things at a time on the PC, 8GB is more than enough. But if you like to multitask and have several apps/windows open at the same time, more memory is better. If JUST gaming, 8 GB is enough. If doing more, go for 16GB. Since the most stable dual channel memory is memory bought in matched sets, buy what you need now as a matched set.

deramatic351

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
16GB is completely useless when all you do is gaming and internet browsing. 8GB is a lot of RAM already and can last you another few years before it becomes outdated. So... My answer. 8GB. You can spare some money from it and you can get nice performance. But if you're really doing a lot of things, 16GB it is.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I would say, 8gb is enough today for gaming and web browsing. Even if you do graphics edit, 8gb is not limiting much. Things CAN change, if you have a lot of stuff running in the background and edit really big images in raw format. Or like me, when I use virtual machines, I can apply 6gb ram to it. Programs like Photoshop or any video editor can take a lot of ram, plus your Windows need some too and maybe multiple virtual desktops with background tasks and open web browser, music player, a second editor or multiple images for whatever reason. You can use ramdisks with huge space.

8gb maybe not limiting now, but having more does not harm you. In the near future, this may change and then you are ready. You don't need to look for prices and wait until it arrives you. You don't need to have test if it works, WHEN you need it. You don't need to worry, if it DDR3 available for a good price, as the price will go up when DDR4 is standard. The price is low currently.

I say, go for it. I did too, expanded my 8gb to 24gb (2x8gb addon to 2x4gb). Ok, I am waiting for it now, but it will arrive in 2 days.

Edit: Btw, I looked at the specs for Sony Vegas 13. It says
"Minimum RAM: 4GB (8GB recommended; 16GB recommended for 4K)"