How to package a computer? Selling a pre-built computer?

supaman

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hey guys, I am selling a pc, and I need some tips with packaging the computer, I know how to package... im not that stupid... (foam, bubblewrap, ect). My question is: Do i need to disassemble everything and package everything separately and then ship? Or can i put it all together and ship, as a prebuilt computer? My Plan is, once i get the cpu (today in fact), I'll assemble it, test it, install windows 8.1 or 10 (tech preview), and maybe after testing it, do a mild overclock, and... sell it!
If you are interested in buying, ill post a link to ebay after a week,
Here is my current build:
FX 8320
Gigabyte MOBO 990fx
8GB HyperX Ram
CoolerMaster Seidon 120M Watercooler
Corsair SPEC Red Case
256gb Lite-On SSD
Corsair CSX 550W PSU
R9 280x MSI Twin Frozr

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the Help! If you want to buy, remember to track the thread! I'll try to be active!

UPDATE: OH!!! Forgot to add, ill also be buying Norton 360, if you don't know what that it... Google!!! This computer is meant to be a plug and play, no waiting, messing with settings or whatever! Its also okay if the buyer wants to buy all the parts separately, I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks again!

USAFRet

Titan
1. If you take it all apart and package separately, it isn't a prebuilt anymore, is it?

2. Win 8.1 or 10 Tech Preview? Which is the buyer purchasing? There is a $100 difference.

3. Norton 360? Why?

W10 Tech preview is only gonna be "free" for another month.

If you buy windows 8.1 might want to checkout how to get it do a "first time setup" like when people buy a real OEM Pc so they can customize it with their favorite color, setting up a profile name, connecting to the internet/wifi, ect.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/installation/downloads/Pages/Windows-8-ADK.aspx#fbid=FSm5-mFqV4M

For the shipping, you MIGHT want to take the GPU out and wrap it so it doesn't jiggle around in transit.

Motherboards aren't really designed to protect the GPU from physical trauma, and the shipping process can be very traumatic.

Everything else doesn't have enough weight to cause damage, except a large aftermarket CPU cooler, but you have a watercooler, so it will be mounted to the case and thus won't be moving.

supaman

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

I'll be buying the the software and installing it, so that they can just unwrap, and plug and play! :D
Update: And norton is for security, its very reliable and secure, especially for windows!

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I know what Norton is for. There are cheaper, better, lighter options.

But if I buy a PC, I expect not to have to put ANYTHING together. Still a bit confused on what you are doing here.

supaman

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

Okay, i am going to make a variety of options available to the buyer, im not completely concrete because i haven't finished building and testing. And just ignore the norton thing, i have a spare cd, from my moms workplace, she never used it so im using it, :)
Update: If the buyer wants all the parts separately, ill make that an option when im selling

Latest posts