What should I upgrade in my build and what's best site for water cooling components?

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Hello all,
About 3-4 years ago I made this build am really interested in upgrading it. I'm thinking of either getting a new video card or getting the same and bridge the two so my build will be running two video cards. I might also upgrade my CPU as well (mainly because I do a lot of programming and run VMs) but this is not a necessity. I will be changing my CPU cooler because I keep hearing clicking noises after about 15 minutes of running. Not sure why..... I one big thing I'd like to get is a new DVD drive because the current one that I have can't burn disks or anything (tried burning Linux onto it and it doesn't even read empty disks for burning). I'll also be getting the same 2x8GB RAM just to fill up my two empty slots as well :). So what do you guys think about my build and what would you recommend?

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V extreme
CPU: i7 3770k
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
memory: Corsair vengeance 2x8GB
video card: Radeon HD 7950
storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s, and Samsung 830 series 256GB Solid State drive
PSU: Corsair AX850W
Case: Thermaltake MK1.

Also, I'm planning to water cool my whole system and would like to know what would be the best shop/site for this. So far I found frozencpu but I've heard mixed things about that site...I would like to change my case to Obsidian 750D as well to support for better water cooling (and have clear plastic on side so you can see the loops).

Thank you all for your support, I would just like to get some ideas and input of what you'd like to do with this build and how would you improve it :)

EDIT: Don't buy the Thermaltake MK1 case, the wiring was not properly done right and I had to mess with it to get the USB ports on top to work. Plus the case looks uglier and uglier the more you look at it in my opinion.

You are not going to see much gain upgrading the CPU. Your current i7 is still very solid and assuming you are overclocked, there isn't much else to do but use and enjoy it. The used market may yield a HD 7950 fairly cheaply to run in crossfire, but you will be limited to 2GB vRAM. Depending on the games you are playing a new 4GB GPU may be in order. Regardless, you have a good system there and it needs little at the moment (IMHO) minus a new CPU cooler since you noted its problems. I would also advise against water cooling... It is cool and all, but expensive and doesn't yield better results over a good air cooler (which is also much less expensive).

Add a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 replacing the H60. Then maybe consider a new GTX 960 or GTX 970 and call it a day...

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015

The i7 right now is running at 3.5 I believe. How much do you think I can overclock this to? I tried to overclock it to 3.8 using the Asus turbo software and my temps went from about 30~40 degrees to roughly 60~70. That's why I went back down to 3.5..

I would prefer to stay away from fan CPU coolers just because they're massive and I had many issues with the fan being noisy. As for the water cooling, I wanted to get just a cpu block/reservoir and use the fan/radiator I already have to make my own cooler for cpu. Wasn't planning on doing the GPU/RAM water cooling junk, my video card has it's own cooling system that I'd like not to mess with.

EDIT: I'm not sure the ranking of graphics are since I haven't done my research in a few years now and I haven't kept up with the new cards that came out, but I've checked the pricing and such of GTX 970 and it's only about $150~$170. The radeon 7950 cost my roughly $300. Is the GTX 970 better than the 7950? If so, why such a big price gap?

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015

Yeah idk what I was looking at lol I found the correct cards. I didn't know about swiftech and that is exactly what I'm looking for! thanks!!