Single machine or Server/Desktop setup, thought?

marbletravis

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
I am looking for input on how to align my systems.

Right now I have two systems one running as a faux server, the other is my main desktop.

Server: AMD e-350 (runs 24/7)
Main System: AMD Phenom 2

I am looking at replacing my main system with a Core I7 4790k system. What I am trying to decide is if I should merge my two systems into one system that runs all the time or keep the server system.

Desktop/Server Pros:

• Lower power consumption when desktop is off
    Less wear on desktop system as it is off when not in use.

Desktop/Server Cons:

• Two systems, double the maintenance
    Uses more electricity when both are running
    Sometimes have to remotely wake on lan desktop system when needing to access files/programs only on that system.

The single machine system would be great, but I worry about the extra wear on the higher end equipment and the greater power usage.

Thought? Have I missed any pros/cons or other solutions?

Note: I use the server for remote file access, media streaming, and backup, it could be turned off at night, but is nice to leave running at night so other systems can backup (crashplan).

ValeTudoGuy

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
Having a dedicated file/media server is a big bonus in my book and is well worth considering. Something like an A8 7600 in low wattage mode would use a fairly small amount of electricity and could be built for minimal cost. Perhaps you could sell your old systems to make way for it and cover the cost?

Otherwise you could just repurpose your most power efficient current system, which would be the e-350.

That CPU would be great for a file server, though if you expect it to do heavy media duties you may not be so impressed.

marbletravis

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

I should quickly clarify, I already have the e-350 system as my dedicated file/media server. But I think you are right it just makes sense to keep them separate.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to make a combo system work? I have thought about trying to write scripts to underclock the system when it is inactive basically replacing the sleep state. I just wouldn't be able to listen for sleep prevention commands like windows does and prevent the system from underclocking when something is processing.

marbletravis

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

$800, but I only need MoBo, CPU, and RAM. I will be harvesting, for now at least, the case/ssds/video card from my existing machine.