Is a tv with 6.5ms response time good to game on. Would there be any noticeble input lag ????

Parwaan virk

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
i want to buy a tv to be used as a monitor for gaming and i found a very good tv but it has a 6.5 ms response time . i am worried that the lag would be too noticeable .
the link to the tv -http://vutvs.com/affordable-luxury-tvs/62-vu-42-full-hd-edge-led-tv.html
it is available for around 500 usd .

Any other tv with a better response time under 500 dollars ?????

Solution
First of all, let's make sure you're not confusing terminology.

When it comes to HDTV's there's two main types of lag:

1) Pixel response time:
Like a monitor this can cause "ghosting" of moving objects.

6.5ms is fairly typical for an HDTV but due to inconsistent standards and video post-processing it's very hard to say how good this is compared to another HDTV or computer monitor.

2) Input latency:
This causes a longer DELAY from the time you press a button to the time you see the object change on-screen.

These two things are related. In an HDTV it may do VIDEO PROCESSING to make the picture look better. So you really need to determine if the HDTV has a "GAMING MODE" (which mainly disables video processing for the input your PC or...
First of all, let's make sure you're not confusing terminology.

When it comes to HDTV's there's two main types of lag:

1) Pixel response time:
Like a monitor this can cause "ghosting" of moving objects.

6.5ms is fairly typical for an HDTV but due to inconsistent standards and video post-processing it's very hard to say how good this is compared to another HDTV or computer monitor.

2) Input latency:
This causes a longer DELAY from the time you press a button to the time you see the object change on-screen.

These two things are related. In an HDTV it may do VIDEO PROCESSING to make the picture look better. So you really need to determine if the HDTV has a "GAMING MODE" (which mainly disables video processing for the input your PC or game console is using).

*Your best bet is to find the MANUAL, or look for customer feedback.

OTHER:
Never use MOTION SMOOTHING for gaming. For example, a "120Hz" HDTV actually has a 60Hz input. Then several frames are sampled and artificial ones are created. This creates a noticeable DELAY.

Solution
Yeah that particular panel is 60 Hz native, game/PC mode disables any processing which increases input lag. Response time is a spec that should be ignored on the modern market, in the gaming market these numbers are marketed in a way that lower is better- which is not true at all. We reached the point where response time can't make your display ghost a few years back. Ghosting is primarily caused by the low refresh rates (60), which is why everything above that was developed. Including some CMR TV features that fake the extra frames to make things appear smoother. It works and is not a gimmick, however. It just looks bad for everything unless it's sports. The extra (sometimes extreme) input lag is 100% unnoticeable because watching a TV show/movie won't need you to press buttons or time inputs like you would in games. I have personally never seen this TV brand/model before, so I can't comment on that.

You're mostly correct, however:

Ghosting is NOT caused by the low refresh rate, it's caused by a high response time (the time for the pixels to change color). There are other ways to minimize such as light strobing. Ghosting has not been completely eliminated either.

High refresh rates were not created to minimize ghosting, but rather to allow smoother motion.

(Oddly you say it's a non-issue now and only seen on 60Hz HDTV's however most HDTV's are 60Hz so that doesn't make sense. And yes, LOWER IS BETTER when it comes to response time so I'm not sure what you mean by "that's not true at all"; the only truth is that there is issue with comparing between HDTV's but if all other things are equal then lower response is better.)

Anyway, it's not worth arguing about. The real question is if the HDTV is good for gaming and my guess is it COULD be based on the specs; my only concern would be input lag so you'd have to find out if there's a gaming mode or not.