Issue using 4K TV as display for gaming PC

Dan Paul

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
I have a desktop with a GTX 750 ti, and im trying to use ny samsung UHD curved tv (brand new) as my display for gaming.
The issue is, my office (where my PC kinda needs to be) is approx 10 meters from the tv in the living room.
If I move my pc direcrly next to the tv and use a short 1.5 m hdmi cable to connect them, it works perfectly. However, I have tried multiple 10m hdmi cables, and they just dont work (including super high quality ones). The TV doesnt register a connection. These cables work too, as ive tried connecting my PC to my shitty office monitor with them and it works great.
My question is, do you guys have any other creative solutions to make this work over that distance? Would a displayport cable make any diffrence? Would an hdmi/DP adapter work? Any other options I'm not thinking of?
Cheers.

JingLuci

Reputable
May 16, 2015
HDMI has problems running data over long distance cables. Usually it can do so quite well running 720p to the 1080p resolution without much problem. But you are trying to run 4k over 10m. Thats over 4 times the usual amount of data you are trying to get from your pc to your 4k TV. Plus why would you even use a 750ti on a 4k resolution. 750ti is not the strongest GPU to support 4k. Sure it can support 4k but the result that you will get is not something that you would want to stay with for long. 750ti are much more accomplished at 720p or 1080p resolution anything higher try upgrading to a stronger GPU for better experience.

Dan Paul

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
I didnt say I was trying to run the output at 4K, I'm just using a 4K TV... if the output resolution is below 4K I dont really care.
Also, as I said in the original question, the cable length is not the issue as I have tried to connect with multiple short hdmi cables and none of those work either.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

JingLuci

Reputable
May 16, 2015

You just said that it works fine connecting via the 1.5m but doesn't work when you use different 10m cables. And now you're saying that even short ones don't work ? Like I say already running data over 10m is sure to give rise to issue since your gpu is not powerful to drive a 4k TV. It's either you don't understand what you wrote in your original question or you don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote: If I move my pc direcrly next to the tv and use a short 1.5 m hdmi cable to connect them, it works perfectly.

Quote: However, I have tried multiple 10m hdmi cables, and they just dont work (including super high quality ones). The TV doesnt register a connection. These cables work too, as ive tried connecting my PC to my shitty office monitor with them and it works great.

I'm just saying that over the length of 10m your GPU doesn't have the horse power to drive a 4k TV running .

Now quoting from my comment. 'Usually it can do so quite well running 720p to the 1080p resolution without much problem. But you are trying to run 4k over 10m.'

Understand ?

The data is there even if you want to run 4k or not because the screen resolution is 4k. It will run the data as 4k whether you like it or not.

JingLuci

Reputable
May 16, 2015
Because TV and monitor don't work in the same way. To power a TV it will play as it native resolution at 4K whether you like it or not. Hence, even if you want to power it at 1080p it won't work. Because your TV will just take in 4K data. That's why it's not connecting at all. Using a 4K TV whether you want 4K or not you will get 4K. And with HDMI cables it just won't do. You could try display ports or DVI cables. These are just some other options.