Windows 10 Boot Loop, 3rd time after full reinstall and a patch.

pyrowipe

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
This is not my main system, but it's still annoying. Full clean install of evaluation build 10074 on this system:

Intel i7 Gen 1
EVGA MB
6x 2GB sticks of ram
Titan X nvidia Card
2x 250GB SSD in Raid 0

After the patch, which I can postpone, but not avoid, I get windows is repairing after update message followed by a reboot.

I have tried the following repair options:

system recovery, no image found... though I did attempt to create a restore point.
Windows Rollback
Refresh PC
startup repair
System Reset
..and whatever other options are on the install disk for repair. I have even installed and that didn't work. The only thing that seems to work is a full reformat of the drives. This happens only after a windows update.

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this? While I would like to see how the new features work, Its not worth having to reformat everything and reinstall on my SSDs over and over. I also use this PC for when guests come over. Please don't just suggest a VM. Yes I know I could try the features, but I would like to solve this problem, not circumnavigate it.

This has happened to me 3 times. Each time after a full clean install, and each time after a windows patch.

Thanks!

pyrowipe

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
So, there are other drives:

one 1TB drive without windows
one 2TB drive wihtout windows
one 1256GB SDD that had windows, but has nothing on it, not even a format.

Confirmed, seems to happen when I got from 10074 to 10130 (or whatever the next one is).
Any thoughts?

pyrowipe

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Will do... I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!

pyrowipe

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I disconnected all drives but the 2x 250 SSDs running raid 0 from intel raid controller....

attempted repairs, no dice.

deleted partitions, reformatted, and reinstalled windows... updated and boot loop again. :(

I'm currently downloading the 10130 iso. Im hoping I can install this and skip the update to 10130 all together, but Im still curious as to what the heck is going on?

pyrowipe

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, runs and updates fine with Win 7... just installed that and working fine. It seems to only have a problem on win10 with that 10130 patch. I haven't yet tried to install that build. I'm just tired of dealing with it for now.

FYI, for others that might come here... I've read recently but not tried:

"I went into Bios changed Boot mode from (quick) to (Diagnostics) then disabled (Core Multi-processing) and also disabled (Intel Hyper-Threading Technology) This is what worked for me "

"Enable xd bit in bios fixes bootloop!"

"One site suggests setting BIOS Non-Execute Memory Protection to ENABLE (claim it works)"