Dead Pixel on MG279Q

genison

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
Just plugged in my new ASUS MG279Q last night. It's really gorgeous and I believe it lives up to the hype!

However, I found a dead pixel. If the screen had not been a completely blue screen and I had not moved my eyes to within 6 inches, I never would have noticed. But it bugs me now. So, my questions are whether 1 dead pixel justifies an RMA. It's an IPS screen and a $600 monitor. I would really expect perfection at this level, but then I'm coming from a 10 year old Dell UltraSharp IPS (and I remember 2 RMAs were required before I got perfection).

On the other hand, there's the dead pixel fix from Youtube that I could try. But is it worth it?

Solution
I would check with the seller first to see what their policy is. An RMA with most venders on a new product should be pretty easy. After that, if it's a pain, you'll have to decide if it's worth the effort.
I'd try the fix only if it's something that can't hurt the monitor worse and void your warranty.

I'm strongly considering this screen myself, so I'm glad to hear you like it. How do you feel it performs in terms of clarity (nice sharp pixels or a little fuzz?) and motion blur? I started a thread here considering my options, maybe you'll post some thoughts there. :)

Xorak

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I would check with the seller first to see what their policy is. An RMA with most venders on a new product should be pretty easy. After that, if it's a pain, you'll have to decide if it's worth the effort.
I'd try the fix only if it's something that can't hurt the monitor worse and void your warranty.

I'm strongly considering this screen myself, so I'm glad to hear you like it. How do you feel it performs in terms of clarity (nice sharp pixels or a little fuzz?) and motion blur? I started a thread here considering my options, maybe you'll post some thoughts there. :)

Solution

genison

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I've only had about 20 minutes on it after I got everything setup, freesync enabled, and selected the game mode I preferred (which oddly enough was the "Racing" mode instead of RPG for Witcher 3).

I also disabled V-Sync and I noticed immediately the difference. No stuttering! Absolutely smooth! As far as the color and sharpness, it is very nice. I could tell how dated my Dell was. Brighter, sharper, and richer colors.