Gaming PC Help 1000 dollars

DavoStory

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Hey guys!:ange: My name is David and this is my first time building a PC and using the forums on tom's Hardware so I'm really really sorry if I break any rules with formatting and etiquette. I welcome all suggestions, criticisms, idioms, and advice because I am the pupil here.
My previous computer was a Lenovo Idea-pad which was pretty bad at playing most types of games. Speaking of games, that is the reason I'm building a new one to enjoy new games like the upcoming Fallout 4 and things like Payday 2 and Maplestory 2. I'm hoping to be able to turn settings on high+ and as for fps maybe 40 or more. Screen resolution would be 1080p on one monitor I think. My budget for my computer would be around one-thousand dollars US for just the desktop. I've made a list of most of the components which I would like to use (which I will try to put below), but have a few questions regarding the MOBO and how my build is.
For the MOBO I'm torn between the ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 and the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK. As far as I know both are compatible with the CPU and Graphics Card I chose and have enough ports to connect to my ssd, hard drive, and other things. I do plan on experimenting with OCing in the future so with all that said do you guys have any recommendations on which MOBO I ought to choose? (Both around 140.00 dollars)

(My grapics card, which I couldn't get on the chart is a SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB which is pretty big, so I plan on removing some bays in the case to make room.) (280.00)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJssFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJssFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($67.57 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Rosewill ROCF-13002 38.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $687.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-18 22:57 EDT-0400

(I hope that worked)

So that's what I have come up with so far. Any suggestions or advice? Did I overkill something or am I missing something?
Also I was wondering if there are any deals out there for a discounted windows 7 for students. I've read here and there that there are, but just can't seem to find the exact site where I would apply for. While on the topic of Windows 7, is it still an acceptable OS for the future or does windows 8+ seem to be needed?
If anyone ended up reading this I really wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help me. Reading tom's Hardware lists comparing GPUs and CPUs have really helped me a ton!:bounce::bounce:

logainofhades

Titan
I would skip the overclocking, to be honest. It really isn't worth the extra cost, unless you live near a microcenter. Save some cash, and go with a Samsung 850 evo, for ssd. Also, AMD's new Fury series will be out soon, so you might want to hold off on GPU purchase.

DavoStory

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

Yea, I think that I might skip the overclocking, and I'll look into AMD's new GPU, but if I ended up getting that would I need to change the motherboard? and do you have any thoughts on which motherboard to choose? Thanks

TofuLion

Admirable
as for the motherboard, they are really not much different. both are high quality and reputable board makers (gigabyte is probably a tiny bit more popular). the ASUS is just a little behind with it's inferior audio codec, but i wouldn't really say it's a deal breaker, both are very good. a third option is the ASRock Extreme4 which is a little bit cheaper, and actually has a few more features - mostly just an additional 2 Sata3 ports and a 12 power phase which will be slightly better for overclocking (again, no deal breaker there as all three boards are high quality).

change the SSD. intel is high quality, but overpriced. for much less you can get a newer drive from samsung that is also very high quality and slightly larger capacity.

the r9 290 is out dated, and definitely not worth $280, especially since AMD just released the 300 series. they are a bit more expensive however, and for 1080p the gtx 970 is far better than the 290, and even competes with the 290X even without overclocking it.

the seasonic 620 is high quality, but more than you need and you can save $20 by going with the xfx 550.

and finally, for around the same price the NH-U14S will perform slightly better than the U12S having 140mm fans instead of 120mm

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.94 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Rosewill ROCF-13002 38.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1116.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-19 14:56 EDT-0400

logainofhades

Titan

An i5 4460, or a Xeon 1231v3, if interested in i7 performance, and an Asrock H97 pro4 is plenty for a single GPU setup. You won't need to change the motherboard, for Fury.

irani

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
the i5 series does not need cpu cooler.

if u playing hard should a by 290x or 390x

by 4690(non k series)+h97 minboard

DavoStory

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

Wow! Thanks for all the information!
Thanks for clearing up the motherboard questions I had and I think I'll stick with your suggestion about the ASRock Extreme4.
As for the SSD I already bought the Intel 730 one which is a bummer, but thanks for the wisdom about the Samsung SSD.
The GPU which you suggested is a bit out of my price range, would you happen to have any other suggestions on the GPU? I know nothing about overclocking the GPU so I won't be doing that any time soon.
I didn't know got extra watts on my power source in case of OCing in the future, so I didn't know if I had too much, if 550w is still good enough I'd love to save 20 dollars.
Yup I'll change my CPU cooler for sure thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks a ton for the sugestions TofuLion!:D