Lots of problems, need suggestions for a new board...

Azeroth Traveler

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
My processor is a G3258, and I want to overclock the heck out of it. I've paired the chip with two boards and have had nothing but problems with each. I'll detail the problems I've had below, for anyone who may curious to read about it. Ultimately, what I want here are suggestions please for a budget Z97 board with easy overclocking options that I can pair with a G3258 processor.

---

The problems so far:

I have tried pairing this chip with a Biostar Hi-Fi Z97-WE and also an Asus Z97-A. I've had problems with both.

With the Biostar board, everything seemed to work fine on the board except that I just couldn't get the chip to overclock.

I increased the multiplier, and the clock speed increase would show in the bios... and nowhere else. I would go into Windows and hit it with Prime95 but still couldn't verify with CPUID or any other means that the chip was putting out anything other than just clock speed.

I did manage at one point to miraculously get it to bump up to 3.8, and it registered that speed in and out of bios. Then I bumped the multiplier again and had the same problem all over again. I was showing a 4.2 clock speed in bios while only showing a 3.8 speed actual in windows.

I basically couldn't get it do anything I wanted it to, and it was just quirky and irritating and way over my head. Someone who is super tech savvy could probably figure it all out, but I couldn't.

With the Asus Z97-A board, I never even got started with trying to overclock it, because there were so many other quirks that I couldn't get past.

The DVI graphics port suddenly stopped sending anything to the monitor for some reason, so I had to pull another monitor out of the closet with a VGA connector and hook that up in order to keep working with it. Later on the DVI port miraculously decided to start working again.

Whenever I tried to insert my wireless adapter card, I'd quickly get a bsod. I tried everything to work around that in order to get my wireless going, but it just wasn't going to happen. Interestingly enough, it's an Asus brand b/g/n wireless adapter, and yet, it won't work with the Asus Z97-A board.

I've previously used the adapter on another system with an Asus M5A97-LE R20 board and never had any problems.

I was unable to connect my external hard drive, because whenever I did, it might access it ok at first, but when I would restart, the system would stutter and hang and freeze, and sometimes blue screen.

I went into the bios and checked and double checked and triple checked to be positive that nothing in the boot priority and hard drive sequence was causing a problem. I had the external drive basically disable everywhere in bios. It didn't matter though. The computer just went crazy whenever I connected the external drive.

I updated the board with every relevant driver from the Asus website. I flashed the bios and pretty much everything that I could do. I even did a complete reformat, again, to try and see if there was anything I could do to try and straighten it out.

I eventually called Asus tech support and was on there with someone for nearly an hour. While going through some steps he led me through, I uninstalled the USB driver... and on rebooting, the computer would not install anything to get the keyboard and mouse going again. I had to go rummage around in my parts and find an old mouse with a PS/2 connector that the board would recognize in order to continue working on it.

It was just a major pain in the neck.

I really, really, really wanted to get that Asus board straightened out. I've had good luck with that brand in the past, and I was excited to get started on using their new overclocking tools which are supposed to make OC'n a breeze. Ugh... SO disappointing.

The Biostar board was a prize I won in a giveaway, so I just sold it on ebay for a few bucks. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out how to get it to overclock. I RMA'd the Asus board.

Also, given all the problems, I went ahead and RMA'd the chip also and have a new replacement here already. Better safe than sorry, I figured. I just need to decide now on a new board to order.

---

I'm open for suggestions please for a new board. I'd like to keep the budget at around $120 or less. The easier the overclocking options, the better.

I don't want to have a third headache with yet another problematic board so, I really do want some suggestions here.

andreaszero

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015