Native resolution cutting off left side

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015
I have an Ativa AT220H monitor with a 1920x1080 native resolution. However, when I set this as my resolution, something like a sixth of the left side is cut off. I've updated my drivers and such. Setting the resolution at 1680x1050 fills the entire screen and looks okay, but the image is still slightly stretched and I'd like to use all of the pixels I have. I'm using a DVI-D to VGA adapter if that is useful information. The adapter was working fine with my previous monitor. How can I solve this issue? Using the auto adjust and manual adjust features on the monitor haven't helped and the Catalyst Control Center doesn't seem to have a setting that remedies the problem.
More info:
GPU: AMD R9 290
Thanks!

Solution
You have 3 options to choose from:

1. Replace the monitor with one that has digital inputs
2. Replace the video adapter with one that has an analog output
3. Replace the converter

#3 is the least desirable, as all of those converters have issues.

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015

Can't find a bezel correction setting. When I enable GPU up-scaling, though, the cutting off happens even with the 1680x1050 resolution. Does this tell you anything?

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015

The problem is I can't move the image far enough to bring it entirely into view. The image is being stretched horizontally so that I couldn't bring it all into view anyways.

....I'm using a DVI-D to VGA adapter if that is useful information....
Unless it's some kind of active adapter that'll never work. DVI-D is digital only. DVI-I carries the analog signal.

Why are you using analog when there is a DVI connector on the monitor?

Get a DVI cable and your problem will solve itself. You'll also have a much sharper display.

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015

It is an active adapter. This monitor only has a VGA input. Why would using a DVI input solve the problem?

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Update: I tested the monitor with my laptop and it outputs at 1080p no problem (using the vga output on the laptop). I think this entails that the problem is in my adapter since I'm not able to fix it with catalyst cc or the monitor's settings. Any tips on how to make the adapter work effectively? It's a StarTech DVI-D to VGA active adapter.

Those adapters are always problematic, the conversion is never perfect. Using a digital input, whether it be DVI, HDMI, or Display Port eliminates all of the timing headaches associated with analog. If your monitor has only analog input (haven't seen one of those in years) then switch to a port on your video card that carries the analog signal (eg. DVI-I).

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015

My GPU only has digital outputs, my monitor only has an analog input (I'm not using the active adapter just for fun... ;)). The DVI-D output is missing the analog pins of a DVI output. Am I just SOL at this point?

You have 3 options to choose from:

1. Replace the monitor with one that has digital inputs
2. Replace the video adapter with one that has an analog output
3. Replace the converter

#3 is the least desirable, as all of those converters have issues.

Solution

i_think_i

Reputable
May 13, 2015

Thanks a bundle. I've decided just to forego trying to get 1080p resolution for now and use a different monitor I have that's 1680x1050. This one doesn't have any issues with the adapter. The 1080p monitor, though, had trouble with another computer with AMD graphics, but not with my laptop which has Nvidia graphics. Maybe it's an AMD thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.