60hz vs 75hz gaming question

cloudkake

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
i have a dilemma!
Im currently trying to decide between a 60hz and 75hz monitor for gaming. I have a GTX980 and running most modern titles at 60fps+ in ultra settings (2560x1080) pretty much all the time. With vsync on this works out great as im not getting tearing and my frame rate isnt dipping below. However, having a new target framerate of 75fps might mean in 'some' games im not reaching that fps or hovering just under it. Is there an argument for going with the 60hz over the 75hz monitor? As sort of a sweetspot? What im try to ask (badly) is whether the anything running at say a solid 60fps on a 75hz monitor might get out of step on a 75hz monitor? Drop the odd frame etc? Put another way is there any reason i shouldnt get the 75hz monitor as they're the same price?

Solution
get the 75hz monitor. you can change it to 60hz in your display settings if you notice problems. if its the same price why not get it? ive never heard of a sweet spot in terms of fps/hz. vsync will work fine on a 75hz monitor.
get the 75hz monitor. you can change it to 60hz in your display settings if you notice problems. if its the same price why not get it? ive never heard of a sweet spot in terms of fps/hz. vsync will work fine on a 75hz monitor.

Solution

LeeLoo2215

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
Get the 75hz or higher monitor, because it is less strain on your eyes playing games.
I had a 19" CRT 75hz flat screen until 2010, when I got a new 23" LCD 60hz 2ms monitor.
I had perfect eye sight, but within a year of changing to the LCD, my eye sight started to go bad.
I have to wear glasses now, because I always read that 60hz LCD monitors didn't affect the eyes like 60hz CRT monitors.
I am buying a 75hz or higher LCD monitor asap.
My friend got a 144hz monitor and he says that he has way less eye strain when playing games compared to his 60hz LCD monitor.