Asus sabertooth Z87 RAM compatibility

Biscuitpants

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I ordered a new MOBO and a new processor (i7 4790k) and after building the PC I get a red LED on CPU and DRAM is he corsair vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 9-9-10-27 1866mhZ 1.5v not compatible with the Asus sabertooth Z87?

Corsair memory part number CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 is compatible with the Asus Sabertooth Z87 motherboard.

Make sure the DIMM's are seated properly.

Also make sure the video card and the CPU are seated properly and evenly.

Double check all wires/cable are connected properly also.

Clear CMOS.

Biscuitpants

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

i thought about looking at the cpu again and when i took it out i saw some of the pins on the MOBO bent which of course i emailed the seller to replace but could it have damaged the CPU as well? it doesnt to seem have an black spots and looks good but there is no way i can test it.

Although there is no guarantee, the CPU is unlikely to have been damaged. CPU's despite their complexity are usually fairly robust.

But ideally the CPU should be tested in another computer (from friend, neighbor etc), and/or another compatible CPU (again from friend, neighbor etc) be tried in your system.

Depending on how badly bent the pins are, it may be possible to straighten them out very carefully using needle nose pliers or similar tool. But if the motherboard is under warranty, then the better option would probably be to have the motherboard replaced with another.