Looking to upgrade over next few months in prep for Fallout 4.

B1ackMesa

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I talked with a friend and posted in a couple of forums, but I'm looking for a... third opinion I guess?

I got my PC in 2011. When I bought it, I was on a tight budget, so I had a friend help me pick out a pre-built PC and upgrade a few parts instead of trying to build a behemoth from scratch in attempts to get me on a decent rig that would last me a few years.

It's been a few years.

I can still run a lot of games on High/Ultra decently like Skyrim, MGS: Ground Zeroes and Battlefield 4 (although unsurprisingly BF4 still gave me a lot of problems) but sometimes my frame rate suffers, and I like to stream and record game play (Fraps), and with my current setup that's becoming increasingly hard. I also spend a decent amount of time editing videos, so anything that would make that process smother would be great. Besides the video card and power supply I bought alongside my PC, the only thing I have upgraded since I got it was my RAM (I'm currently at 8GB).

Quick breakdown of my parts (Heyoooo):
AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor ~3.1GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5670
8GB RAM
Running Windows 7 64bit.

I'm not trying to build Skynet, I just want to upgrade (if possible) to comfortably play some of the newer titles coming out (Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, etc.), and to last me another couple of years. My budget isn't as tight as it was when I got my PC (around $300, but I'll bump it up a bit if needed), but I'm about to move into a new place and just started a new job, so keeping things at a decent price is ideal until a little down the line, when I want to do my first high-end build from scratch.

With some help, I am now debating on getting the Intel Core i5-4440 and possibly the Radeon R9 290, but I'm not sure how well my video card stands up by today's standards (i.e. how I would perform if I just upgraded the processor), and I know next to nothing about processors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So yeah, $300 isn't really gonna cut it, your ram and OS you can keep, and you likely can keep your PSU if you get a gtx 960, but an r9 290 is possibly gonna be more power consuming than what your PSU can offer, because your system is pretty low-power.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($223.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $470.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-23 14:03 EDT-0400

an R9 290 is more powerful than a gtx 960, but it also is more expensive, and consumes more power. But a gtx 960 shouldn't have any issues with fallout 4.

B1ackMesa

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

I bought a better power supply when I got the PC (recommendation from my friend), so I think I'll be good on that front. Is a new motherboard necessary? $470 isn't that bad as I'm planning on upgrading a little at a time until November, but is there any wiggle room to bring the price down a little?

Also, would I be right in assuming that it would be better to upgrade processor first over the video card?

yes a new motherboard is 10000% necessary because amd and intel CPUs are incompatible with each other.

You'd actually see the biggest increase with a new GPU as games are Graphics, and Cpus aren't graphics.

Lowest I can get while still having an i5 is $416, this is slightly older hardware, but you can still upgrade to a better intel CPU after a BIOS update for this motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Directron)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($192.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $416.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-23 14:59 EDT-0400