Pricing for GTX 770, GA-970A-D3, and FX 8350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendi91

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I have an EVGA GTX 770 2GB that I have already replaced and I'm not sure what I could get for it. Also, I have been toying with the idea of making the change from AMD to Intel, but to do this I would need to sell my FX 8350 and the GA-970A-D3. I would like to get into overclocking, but this motherboard is not great for it and I am a novice so I don't want to risk damaging anything.

So I guess what I'm asking is how much could I get for each part?

Thanks.

Solution
Keep the CPU and get a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P or ASUS Sabertooth 990FX.

The performance difference between the 8350 and an i5 4690k or even i7 4790k is small and doesn't justify the platform change and price premium. If you were coming from a x4 Phenom II or FX 4300 series, then yeah it would be worth it. But not from an 8350.

To me, for it to be worth switching from an 8350/9590 I would need to go 5820k + x99 + quad channel DDR4. At $680-$700 for CPU, MoBo and RAM, I'd rather wait to see how Zen does first.
Keep the CPU and get a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P or ASUS Sabertooth 990FX.

The performance difference between the 8350 and an i5 4690k or even i7 4790k is small and doesn't justify the platform change and price premium. If you were coming from a x4 Phenom II or FX 4300 series, then yeah it would be worth it. But not from an 8350.

To me, for it to be worth switching from an 8350/9590 I would need to go 5820k + x99 + quad channel DDR4. At $680-$700 for CPU, MoBo and RAM, I'd rather wait to see how Zen does first.

Solution

Hendi91

Reputable
May 27, 2015

Thanks for the information. I am still new to this and I do not have the money for anything more than the i5 4690k which is what I was looking into. I'll probably look for a deal on the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX then.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I'd suggest selling your current motherboard and getting a good one for overclocking, even at stock 4ghz it's going to perform pretty good, and Zen with 40% improvement per core is coming next year too. I've heard rumors of a 16core AMD cpu coming out...geez, if that thing is 200 bucks I'd get one for the hell of it :D. 40% better per core would put it roughly at ivy bridge level per core or at least sandy bridge which is still really strong. CPU improvements have largely stagnated since sandy bridge in 2011, I don't think the extra cost of going intel would personally be worth it. Unless you're wanting more fps in super single thread heavy games like rts or mmo.

Hendi91

Reputable
May 27, 2015
That is what I was planning on doing. I am currently looking at ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 because of the price and I have a GTX 980 that I would like the option to do SLI with. In your opinion, is this an okay plan?

bluebob71

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
ok so ive just upgraded from a fx 8350 @ 5ghz and im telling u ive noticed a huge improvement in games........ the ppl who says they dont, dont own the products....... i maintain prob a solid 5 more fps which doesnt sound like a lot but thats 5fps on avg and gaming feels a lot more smooth..

when it comes to multitasking, i use 2 screens for media etc.. and i think the fx 8350 was a was little better in media etc.... it just sucks going from the price points but i promise u its worth it if ur a gamer.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished

sure, the 8350 can drive two 980s and the combo comes out much cheaper than the ~$1000 intel combo, it even beat the intel setup in several tests.

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/56/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-4k/index.html

I've used a Phenom x6 on a regular hdd on two monitors and there really wasn't much real world difference between it and my much stronger on paper i5 3570k pc. Certainly not worth the much more expensive cost. Unfortunately when I was building my pc I listened to fanboys spouting artificial benchmarks and not real world usage, or I most likely would have went AMD in the first place. On 1080p even a single 980 is overkill tbh. I even played the notorious Starcraft 2 on the Phenom x6 pc on 1080p max settings with an HD 7870ghz edition and it was certainly playable, it would of been even better if I lowered some settings, which contrary to elitists online, isn't the end of the world to have to do >_>

basically what I'm try to get at is, there's definitely a point of diminishing returns. Your current fx 8350 will age very well due to the 8 cores, the consoles are both 8 cores clocked much lower so you'd be good for at least this entire console gen. I was just as happy with a mildly overclocked Phenom x6 on a whimpy cheap MSI 760g mobo vs my much more expensive i5 3570k and expensive z77 motherboard combo. Yes the intel is stronger, but could most people notice a difference? No...I couldn't either. If you're truly truly wanting all the fps in the world, intel is stronger per core, but most people in the world are on a 60hz monitor, 1080p...I bet a significant portion still on 720p, nobody talks about them I'm assuming because they're not on the latest and greatest new thing though.

it just depends on the user honestly. Some people spend thousands on 4k setups, meanwhile I'm happily chugging along on "only" 1080p...

Hendi91

Reputable
May 27, 2015

Money is the problem unfortunately. If I had the money, I would switch to Intel even for the 5 FPS increase. I'm going to graduate next May and find a job, hopefully, so I just wanted the cheapest upgrade to hold me over until then. I think overclocking the FX 8350 is going to be the cheapest option since I can get a cheap motherboard. I guess since I'm planning on replacing the CPU and motherboard next year I can get a cheap motherboard now that will be better for overclocking.

bluebob71

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
the 5 fps is just on avg games that would drop from 60 to 45 some times never drop below 50 according to msi .... but ya i got a steal on a pc from a guy whos g/f was making him sell his pc lol but good luck i loved my 8350 im just saying it is worth it to get the i5 enjoy man

Status
Not open for further replies.