Will my GPU Run 144hz monitor? + triple display help!

02ryan48

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I'm thinking of buying this 144hz monitor http:// however i'm unsure whether it is worth buying as i don't know if my GPU can run games at a high enough FPS, the graphics card i have is this one - http:// i currently run a new 60z benq monitor and a very old dell one and intend to use both benq ones, the 144 hz as the main monitor while using the slightly older benq one as a side monitor for youtube etc. i usually play league of legends however also play more demanding games such as the witcher, will it be able to run games smoothly at 144hz or would i need an upgrade to my GPU?

As well as this i often use my TV to watch films on and to do this i have to unplug my main monitor to be able to switch to my TV (connected via HDMI) I've tried using it as both extended view and duplicate view however i get an error message when trying to apply the changes (simply states changes can not be made) is there an easy way to do this as unplugging a cable to watch a film every night is very annoying and probably taxing on my cables?

Solution
You can use 144Hz monitor but you will not get 144fps with that GPU on today's high-end games like Witcher 3.
If you aim Witcher 3 for 60 fps or higher on ultra @1080 with HairWorks activated, you will need 2xGTX970s or GTX980Ti.
If you can live without the hairworks, you can get 60fps with a single GTX970 @ultra+high mix.
I would not get GTX980, GTX980 is only about 10% faster than GTX970 but cost almost double, if you have extra budget, get better GTX980Ti.

XFiring your GPU does not make sense, you do XFire/SLI only if you are already on high-end cards. Better get a single newer stronger GPU.

FX6300 is still ok, GPU update will do you good.
Be careful, your current PSU is a bit at limit for a single GTX970, especially if you OC your...

Sam Defrond

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hello,

Short answer No..you would need an upgrade to run at 144fps to actually see the benefits, however I have the exact monitor and I use the refresh rate for FPS games and it is lovely! I run two monitors 144hz on 1 x MSI 980 GTX.

You would get away with a 970 GTX also.

02ryan48

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

If i was to buy a GPU would you recommend buying a slightly cheaper one and using crossfire to use my current gpu as well as the new one or just outright replace my gpu?

Sam Defrond

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I personally do not believe in Crossfire, certainly not ATI anyway, they're years behind Nvdia but that's another topic...1 single powerful card will be fine. 980 GTX will keep you going for a while :)

02ryan48

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

honestly, i'm very hesitant to buy a new graphics card since i would be installing it myself, i'm not particularly clued up on buildings computers (my knowledge basically extends to fumbling around and building my current one myself watching videos on youtube) but if i was to upgrade my GPU would it fit into my current rig?

You can use 144Hz monitor but you will not get 144fps with that GPU on today's high-end games like Witcher 3.
If you aim Witcher 3 for 60 fps or higher on ultra @1080 with HairWorks activated, you will need 2xGTX970s or GTX980Ti.
If you can live without the hairworks, you can get 60fps with a single GTX970 @ultra+high mix.
I would not get GTX980, GTX980 is only about 10% faster than GTX970 but cost almost double, if you have extra budget, get better GTX980Ti.

XFiring your GPU does not make sense, you do XFire/SLI only if you are already on high-end cards. Better get a single newer stronger GPU.

FX6300 is still ok, GPU update will do you good.
Be careful, your current PSU is a bit at limit for a single GTX970, especially if you OC your FX6300.

Solution

02ryan48

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Ahhh thankyou! May be upgrading shortly then, I don't suppose you have an answer for my second query?

Sam Defrond

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
The second query would be to do with the input source, if your card has more than one output source, you could keep your Monitor and TV both plugged in constantly and just switch the source by using the remote on your TV.

Activating one will disable the other

Thanks