I5-2500k at 97° right after powering up, possible seating problem

Tyn

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
I just installed my new i5-2500k (boxed) on my new MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3). Right after powering up the PC and going to BIOS immediately, the CPU temperature is reported at 97°C, without any fluctuation.

The heatsink stays cold during all this. The CPU fan and case fans work.

When I installed the CPU, I had to push REALLY hard to re-engage the load lever (after checking 100 times that the CPU is definitely seated correctly). It even made a little crunching sound. Not sure if that's normal.

Looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to buy some thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Should it really take a lot of force to engage the load lever?

yes its normal to need force to engage--the first time i heard that crunch i cr****d myself

are you using the stock intel heatsink?

these are notorious for the push pins not engaging properly--if you can pull up the pins without twisting them then they arent properly engaged

This.

When you put the CPU fan on yu have to make sure that the arrows are facing away from the heatsink, otherwise it wont lock properly. Plus when you push down you will hear a click noise for each one.

stock%20cooler.jpg

Look at how the arrows are not facing inward. Make sure thats how they are.