Want to buy a 4K monitor. Need advice

Bad Martian

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I got some great advice for buying my new video card ( EVGA GTX 980Ti) and now I want to know from you guys what 4k monitor would you recommend? I've been reading around on some websites and some seem to be well reviewed, but from you guys standpoint who have been gaming on them for awhile now, I'd like to hear your input on the ones that you found amazing personally. Money isn't an issue now, so if it's a bit pricey its no worries.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
To have the best color depth and because you'll be pretty close to the monitor, you'll want a monitor as opposed to a TV. Tops right now would be the NEC PA322UHD with the exception that it does have a relatively slow response time (10 ms)- not the best for gaming. For a very slight knock on color fidelity, you can get probably the best gaming monitor, the 2ms Acer B286HK, which happens to be significantly cheaper, too.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
As SpaceLama wrote, your linked monitor is not 4K (3640 x 2160), it is 2560 x 1440, which is greater than HD but not up to 4K. A lot of people have given high praise to the 2560 x 1440 resolution for gaming, but if you're looking toward the future, make sure the resolution is correctly 4K.

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I don't understand the rush to 4K.

You aren't going to play AAA titles with just one video card.

For television, what actually pushes that signal? Blu ray is 1080p. Comcast? Netflix? As far as I know, nothing actually pushes a 4K picture.

It would be a great thing to have, but computers don't have the video power and no service provider has that kind of bandwidth—as far as I know.

I'm sure it's awesome if you're not gaming, however.