What configuration of intake and exhaust fans would be best?

TheDarkPleco

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
This is my first time attempting to build a computer, but I know enough to get by. I have learned much through computer repair, but wish to obtain knowledge from those with more experience with real world experiences. My issue is I do not know how to place the fans in my case I bought, the Raidmax Vortex 404-3b (I think that is it). Either way, I have two intake fans on the front doing 1200 RPM and 64.3 CFM of intake. I will also have a radiator to place with a fan going at 2400 RPM moving 73 CFM. I would like to have a positive pressure case, but want proper air flow as well. There is one rear and one top fan slot available. One must be used for the radiator and the other a high powered fan. My question is whether I should make the extra fan an intake from the top, an exhaust, or to use the radiator as an intake or exhaust. Any advice is appreciated. Case image in link. http://

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Radiator is best used as an exhaust. While an intake will show lower cpu temps, especially when gaming, what ends up happening is you dump all that excess heat into the case. Used as exhaust vents the heat directly out, so during gaming, you'll see slightly higher cpu temps as gpu heat is pulled from the case and vented through the radiator. Not a big deal.

With a decent fan curve, you'll only see max speeds on the rad fan if the cpu is under heavy loads, a rare occurrence, even gaming, usually testing like with prime95 is the only way to fully maximize cpu loading. With fan curve settings, you'll have control over intakes as well, so setting a positive flow isn't hard. So use as much intake in front as available, and use the rad as exhaust. Do not use top as intake, heat rises naturally, so not only will that prevent escaping heat, it'll also draw in exhaust heat and return it back into the case. Front or bottom intake only, rear or top exhaust.

TheDarkPleco

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015

TRENDING THREADS