dual monitor setup 144hz and 60 hz causes stuttering

holydinges

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hello all,

I recently purchased the asus rog swift(144Hz) and i am currently using it with my old 60hz monitor.
I imediatly noticed that as soon as i put the rog swift on 144hz the 60 hz monitor starts stuttering.
Now ive read on the forum that this is normal, however i have yet to find any hinting towards a workaround.

so here is my question:
is there a way to prevent the stuttering on the 60hz monitor when 144hz mode is enabled on the rog swift.
if there isnt a workaround will a second 144hz monitor solve the problem?

im using a single GTX 970 and only use the rog swift for gaming and the other screen for browsing/watching vids, stream etc.

thanks in advance for any help.

update: the rog swift is connected through displayport and the old monitor is connected through dvi.
i tested with gsync off and on/vsync off and on(in the nvideau management options) and none had effect on the stuttering.

/holydinges

Solution
Old thread but I wanted to chime in.

Had the exact same problem, primary monitor 144 Hz, secondary 60 Hz. Playing a youtube video in 2nd monitor would cause everything to stutter, including games. Even if a game said it was running at 144 fps, in reality it looked like 15-20 fps.

Did some googling. Solution was to turn off Windows Aero. It fixed it immediately, all stutters were gone. Dragging windows from one screen to another was also perfectly smooth.

Then, I turned on Aero again. The problem didn't reappear, strangely enough. Restarted Windows, still no problem: Aero on, no stutter on either monitor. I can play a 60 fps youtube video on 2nd monitor and play a game on 1st monitor at 144 fps and both are smooth.

So this can't be a...

holydinges

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
contacted some support centres and found the awnser.

becouse the card has to send out 144hz and 60hz refresh rates they collide and cause the stuttering.
buying a second 144hz monitor should solve the stutters.

genome852

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Old thread but I wanted to chime in.

Had the exact same problem, primary monitor 144 Hz, secondary 60 Hz. Playing a youtube video in 2nd monitor would cause everything to stutter, including games. Even if a game said it was running at 144 fps, in reality it looked like 15-20 fps.

Did some googling. Solution was to turn off Windows Aero. It fixed it immediately, all stutters were gone. Dragging windows from one screen to another was also perfectly smooth.

Then, I turned on Aero again. The problem didn't reappear, strangely enough. Restarted Windows, still no problem: Aero on, no stutter on either monitor. I can play a 60 fps youtube video on 2nd monitor and play a game on 1st monitor at 144 fps and both are smooth.

So this can't be a hardware issue. I think it must be a software / drivers / OS problem related to having different refresh rate monitors. The issue was totally fixed for me just by toggling Aero off/on, so it's weird.

I'm using VG248QE (144 Hz) and Dell U2414H (60 Hz) on Asus GTX 970. Windows 7

Solution

TRENDING THREADS