Random monitor blackouts

qwertyyy123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hi guys I've been experiencing a weird problem with my display.

It keeps blacking out whenever I turn on other electrical appliances in the room (that I have noticed thus far). For instance when I switch on a lamp, the screen goes dark for a second and then comes back on (the PC is still running). I am using a HDMI cable to connect my monitor to my GTX 960 at the time. However, when I recently switched to using a VGA cable, there seems to be no problem when I turn on electrical appliances (so far).

What could be causing this? Any answers/insight would be much appreciated. :D

I've just built a new rig with the following specs:

MB: Gigabyte H-97 Gaming 3
CPU: Intel i5-4460
VGA: MSI GTX 960 100ME
Ram: 8 GB Kingston 1333 Mhz
Power supply: Aerocool Templarius 850w

qwertyyy123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for getting back so quickly.

http://postimg.org/image/djwo2jcv9/

Apparently I don't understand any of it. The PSU however, was recently bought and is HASWELL ready as per the box states though.

Yep and I tell the girls that I'm the man of their dreams. Salesmanship.

If its not in tiers 1, 2 or 3 of that PSU tier list then it shouldn't be purchased.

But I'm still curious about the voltage readings - to see if what I think can be confirmed.

qwertyyy123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Im currently using an extension lead in my bedroom though (and can't move it). This is a wild guess, but could it be that by using the HDMI cable, its consuming more electricity? (Causing random monitor blackouts whenever I turn on other electrical appliances in the room)

qwertyyy123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
The house is really old. 20 - 30 years old.

The weird thing that's stuck on my mind is why is it that when I use the VGA cable everything's fine but when I use the HDMI cable as a means to connect my monitor, switching on other electrical appliances seem to cause the monitor blackouts?

Interference. Connect monitor to a surge protector. Its bad and old wiring. Also not safe.

Edit: I didn't want to scare you, so let's hope it's just EMF from an old fluorescent lamp, if it's not. Then you should call an electrician to take a look at it, because if voltage dips, a surge protector won't help you, won't harm components either. But if voltage spikes it can kill lamps etc in your home, had it happen once a week in our old house, but hopefully it's not that bad in your house... :)

Floydstrat

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

Have you found any solution so far? I have the exact same problem since I bought the Geforce GTX 960 recently.

qwertyyy123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Yeah. I switched back to the normal vga cable and the blackouts stopped