Can I use windows 8.1 copy seperately after windows 10 free upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patishi

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Hello,
Will I be able to use my windows 8.1 independently after I get the free windows 10 upgrade?
I have two PCs in my house right now but only one windows 8.1 disk. I thought that maybe I could wait for windows 10 upgrade and then install the 8.1 on the old pc and have the 10 on the new one. But I don't know if the 8.1 serial will be attached to the 10 version.

Thx.

Solution

Dual boot IS running two separate operating systems on the PC. And it's not complicated at all if you can read and follow instructions.

To the OP, if you install Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, you cannot then run the other OS on another machine. If you install Windows 10 as part of the insider program, as mentioned, entirely separate from any prior OS installations, as a clean install of the preview version, then it should not affect or restrict your license usage of any other OS because it will be unrelated to any other OS.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Actually, you can install Windows 10 on a computer that does not have Windows 7-8.1 on it. Microsoft just released info that says anyone who signs up for the Insider's Programs and installs the Win10 Preview on their computer can keep running Windows 10 and it will be activated. The only catch is.. you have to remain in the program... but you CAN get the free copy of Windows 10.

Update:
All you need to do is sign up for the Insiders Program and remain in the program and Microsoft will allow you to keep Windows 10.. so basically you can get it for free. So YES, you can install Windows 10 onto a computer without Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it. Here is additional information:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

No. The Windows 10 license upgrades the copy of Windows 8.1 you bought, so you wouldn't actually have a valid Windows 8.1 license anymore. If you install that copy of 8.1 on another computer, you do so illegally.

JaymanHD

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015

What Os do you have on the one without windows 8.1?

Dual boot IS running two separate operating systems on the PC. And it's not complicated at all if you can read and follow instructions.

To the OP, if you install Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, you cannot then run the other OS on another machine. If you install Windows 10 as part of the insider program, as mentioned, entirely separate from any prior OS installations, as a clean install of the preview version, then it should not affect or restrict your license usage of any other OS because it will be unrelated to any other OS.

Solution

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Finally explained my eyes were getting tired after seeing those answers.

Installing 2 sistems on one PC is piece of cake. You install Windows 7/8.1 on one partition, then make another partition of atleast 40gb's and install Windows 10 latest build with .ISO available on their website while you writte your code and enter it at the begining of installation. Now everytime when you start PC you can choose what OS you wanna get in. End of story..

Respond above mine explains well that installing clean Win10 only or along with other OS but on separated partition for dual boot make your Windows 10 pretty much for free, no restrictiction on license or anything like that. So once when you decide to have only Windows 10 you can format Win7/8 partition and through msconfig in "boot" tab remove Windows 7/8. Or simply do clean install since you will have your motherboard registered with Windows and your licence is still there forever, after official release.

You just need to have installed Windows 10 at the moment when update goes live, not after that.

USAFRet

Titan

If you do not either buy Windows 10, or upgrade from an existing Win 7/8/8.1, the only way to continue to use Win 10 'for free' is to remain a participant in the Insider Program. And you will be a permanent beta tester.

You can't upgrade an existing Win 8.1 license to Windows 10, AND continue to use that same Windows 8.1 license.

Exactly. It's either an upgrade or continue being a lab rat. I think the majority of it's reporting would be error or crash related data, which most versions of windows have anyhow (Error reporting) unless you turn it off. There may be other aspects to the program regarding what it reports, but I'm not privy to that information, at least not yet. It may report some usage data as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS