CPU Usage on Front Page

Hello Tom's Community Managers!

I was a bit bored today morning and started profiling the page a bit, haha. No, not really. I just noticed by luck the page was consuming around 10% of my CPU and it caught my eye.

I don't know what single component is responsible for it, but I do think it's high usage for a "static" webpage.

If I get more information, I'll post it here or anywhere you guys tell me to.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo.

I noticed it in my work notebook: i5-4310M @2.7Ghz.

Certainly it's not an issue for stationed PCs, but for mobile it might make a difference in battery life :)

The browser I usually use is Chrome. Particular version is "43.0.2357.65 m". And I never keep more then 3 tabs open. Also, it's Windows 7 64bits.

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot info.

i'm on an i7-920 3.21ghz desktop with 3 TH tabs open (main forum, 2 threads) and have 0% usage fluctuating up to 5%. if i load up the main site page this goes up to 1-3% then drops down to 0%. when logged out without adblocker enabled this increases to about 3-5%.

on my laptop i7-2630qm 2.0ghz with 3 TH tabs open i'm hovering between 0-5%. with the main page open i get about 8-11% (6-8% chrome.exe's). logged out without adblocker i'm getting about 9-14% (7-9% due to chrome.exe's).

a few spikes intermittently and some increases when loading new content but thats a given.

--

the TH site is a bit hefty for a static site but not any worse than a few others i've encountered. it could be due to to the software TH runs for its site which is proprietary and includes quite a bit of active elements like the forum live feed and other content. while the site looks static, it does have some dynamic content running in the background.

are you running adblocker? is this issue on the forum homepage (which should be light) or the TH main page?

Yes, I'm running "AdBlock Plus" only. I have it set up to let some adds go through but I don't see it consuming CPU after the page has fully loaded.

And it's THs' main home page (www.tomshardware.com - .co.uk) after it's 100% loaded. If you're running JS at tight intervals, could increasing that interval help?

I know 10% might not sound much for a regular computer, but when you're programming in said machine, that 10% is really noticeable, haha.

Cheers!

do you have process explorer? it should tell you if the browser is the one using the cpu resources and how much.
have you tried with a different browser like firefox and with and without adblocker?

Using ProcessExplorer is how I found it. The lappy was struggling with Eclipse, so I started killing stuff. Chrome using 10% caught my eye and then I used Chrome's Task Manager to see which tab was it.

Firefox can't go through the firewall (no idea why) and there's no way I'll use IE. Plus, AdBlock Plus is not the problem. Already discarded it by browsing other sites.

Cheers!