DELL XPS 8700 - Clarifications

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Well, after many many years, I am upgrading my computer. Since 1993 I've always built my own, but this time I want one that comes pre-made and tested with warranty, since all I do is Photoshop, web surf, and play World of Warcraft. No real upside to building my own these days.

What I wanted to confirm however, was

1) The DELL XPS 8700 (4th Gen i7) has a 450w supply, which I read can be swapped for a 'regular' power supply. Not like some DELLs with the proprietary ones. Is that correct? I don't need it yet, but a year from now may want a 650w.

2) I have an ASUS GTX650Ti OC Boost 2GB card in my current system that I think only needs a 400w supply for... I've seen a few posts of people mentioning sticking in a GTX650 into the XPS 8700... anyone know for sure it fits?

3) I read that the BIOS is locked on these. Is there an unlock available? Off-chance I want to update the BIOS or something?

I plan to get one that's on sale with the 16GB ram, and Win8... which I will promptly format and install my Win7x64 Pro onto.

Before that (and the video card swap) I'll run Prime95, FurMark and MemTestx86 to make sure the system is working well. LOTS of great reviews for the system, some bad ones too... few bad ones though don't even make sense, like one guy saying no slots for a network card or sound card, even though it comes with one mini PCIe slot, two PCI Express x1 slots, one PCI Express x4 and one PCI Express x16 slot. Another guy saying internet is slow... non-tech people making tech reviews. :D

But ya, anyways... I plan to swap video cards, otherwise I have no plans to expand the computer, apart from a possible video card/power supply upgrade in 1-2 yrs. Just looking for some opinions from people who have dealt with this computer.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS