Overclocking CPU and RAM Speed Compability

NooNsense

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
I am very happy that I got a scholarship from my highschool. I can now get my favourite pc part together :pt1cable:. I know pretty much everything about overclocking but I was thinking about a thing all day.

I am confused about CPU and RAM speed being compatible. For example I have a i5 4690K and it is clocked at 4.5Ghz. Should I overclock my ram to be compatible or can it stay at 1600Mhz
because I didn't change the FSB.

Thanks for answers!!

Sep 13, 2014
Running that CPU frequency with 1600MHz RAM is perfectly fine. Not much added benefit overclocking the RAM, but hey overclocking is fun right!!?. In my case I own an AMD Kaveri CPU. Faster RAM does help AMD APUs tremendously and it is debatable if it helps Kaveri CPUs due to the lack of L3 cache.

NooNsense

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015

Thanks m8!!

Neutr1n0

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
lol... No offence but that's a strange post coming from a self acclaimed OC expert.

Hardware changes and so do the rules. OC'ing FSB is something of the past, heck FSB doesn't even exist anymore. FSB is now Base clock and can not be OC'ed more than a few % without guaranteed instability. Also there is no 'compatibility' between CPU and RAM frequency, only thing in common is that they are derived from the same Base clock.

I suggest you do some more investigation before claiming you know everything there is to know about OC'ing. ;)

NooNsense

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
I didn't say I was an oc EXPERT but I know the basics and oc'ing is all about basics which is raising the clocks, if it becomes unstable raise the voltages and at the same time checking the temps. Isn't it? I was unsure about one thing because I was oc'ing an old Pentium with FSB.