PG278Q brightness/gamma insanely high - (colour calibration won't stick)

CPUzX

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Hello, I'm having an issue with my ROG Swift 1440p monitor, which I bought yesterday. It had arrived with no dead pixels, everything works to my knowledge; however, after playing a few games, I've noticed that the gamma or brightness is insanely high, and this actually makes the quality of the graphics look even worse on this monitor, compared to my old 24" 1080p 60hz panel, so I figured something wasn't right. After hours of researching, I had finally realized that this is most likely a gamma issue. I can adjust the brightness in the settings for this monitor, but it doesn't seem to do any good with the quality.

After tinkering around with Windows 7 colour calibration, I finally figured out it "might" (must be gamma), as whenever I reduce the gamma slider, the picture dims down to a darker, more crystal, less foggy lighting, and that's exactly the way it should be.

My issue is mainly with the Windows colour calibration tool, as whenever I adjust the gamma to a suitable level, the moment I lift my finger off the mouse, the gamma goes back to how it used to be, instantly. When I save the settings, it goes dark to the gamma I set before, but instantly goes straight back to the original settings, and it doesn't stick. Whenever I click 'reload current calibration', it goes darker for a split second, then back to the washed out, cloudy setting it was previously on. I'm thinking it must be some sort of third-party interference from maybe photoshop, Sony Vegas, or Nvidia? Perhaps the ROG Swift monitor driver?

When I attempt to change the colour settings in Nvidia Control Panel, the same applies as above, and it does the exact same pattern. It resets to the original colour. Please can someone guide me on how to resolve this issue? It's an expensive monitor, and I don't think anything is physically defective... Thanks

CPUzX

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Grainy? I'm not noticing too much grain, but when I compare the ROG Swift to my previous TV, I could adjust the sharpness, and to be honest, the picture looked clearer and less blurry on my other screen. Text is very clear on this monitor, clearer than my old one, but the picture quality just looks blurrier or a little more washed out on this monitor. When I adjusted the sharpness on my old monitor to zero, it gave the same visual effect as the ROG Swift.

Is this an issue because the panel is TN? Is there a way to adjust the sharpness in Windows somehow? Thanks for briefing me on this, I'll think about sending it back, but I really don't want to have to do that...

I figured the issue though. It was f.lux._.