1ms Monitor vs 8ms LCD TV?

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question, is there a difference that I can notice when console gaming using a 1ms monitor and a 8ms LCD TV?

The max resolution for the LCD TV is 1366x768 with 8ms while the monitor is 1920x1080 with 1ms.
The LCD TV is 32" while the monitor is 23.6" if that matters.

Will I see any difference when playing my console on either one? And what other factors come into play other than response time?

LCD TV
http://www.techhive.com/product/1419636/sony-bravia-kdl-32l4000-32-lcd-tv.html

Monitor
http://www.amazon.com/VN247H-P-23-6-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00AVYNS7M

I know I asked a question similar to this recently but that was before I knew my TV model and specs. Now that I found it I wanted to make sure again, so sorry for asking again.

Basically main question is will I notice any difference in 1ms monitor and a 8ms LCD TV when console gaming?

Thanks!

Solution

You will probably still be able to play your...

Sandstorm3000

Honorable
1366x768 is really low nowadays, its a good (or regular?) resolution for a television or a 15 inch laptop. But for a gaming monitor you really want to have atleast 1600x900 or preferably a 1920x1080 monitor.

I would really suggest buying the 1920x1080 monitor with 1ms response time. You will definitely notice the quality difference and maybe even the speed.

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012

I already have both the TV and the 1ms monitor I listed, I'm asking because I currently play on the monitor but with this setup my brother can't play since it's in my room, so I was wanting to move it over to the 8ms LCD TV so we can all play it and was hoping that in doing this I wouldn't notice any big performance drops.

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

You will probably still be able to play your games, but the quality loss will be noticable. Make sure when using the TV to set it to ''Gaming Mode'' or something similar, it will greatly reduce input lagg.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Careful, response times are measured for transitions between colour values, lower is better obviously. Your main concern is input lag and the business that happens inside the display before you actually get to see your peripheral input/movement in games.

TV's with their internal enhancements will delay your input quite a bit depending on brand and model. Some are better than others and taking in account most TV's these days with console mindedness have game mode which cut a lot of these enhancements out, but how much will it improve? . Only other way is try before you buy or taking to review sites first looking for best input response before buying a TV.

Its a gamble monitors wont leave you with.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

oh sorry didn't know you already have the displays and Sandstorm makes a good point. Just try it and see how you go, if you like it or not.

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012

I'll do that thanks