Building My First Gaming PC - Any Feedback Welcome

nan_123

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hey guys, this is my first time building a PC and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I have a fairly basic understanding of PC's through my own research but not a huge one. Budget is not currently an issue, I would primarily be using this computer for 4k gaming and also I would be looking to use it for Plex (media server) hence the huge amount of storage I currently have selected. Any feedback on the build will be welcome.

I have three main concerns with the build, for 4k Gaming, i would be looking to get a minimum of 40fps for most games and ideally around the 60 fps mark. I currently only have one card selected, would it be worth getting another 980 Ti to run in SLI or maybe hold off 2 years or so and then add another when games will be more demanding.

Also if i do run them in SLI, do you think I would need to upgrade the CPU? Also I was a bit curious about the monitor, I am aware about the problems regarding scaling on 4K monitors but I am sure with the windows scaling to 150% i should be fine, but I have read conflicting reviews saying that 28" was too small for a 4K monitor and you wont really see any benefit. I was wondering if this monitor would do or if a bigger one was needed.

Thanks for reading and any help/advice you can give. The build is as follows:

Case: Coolmaster Cosmos 2
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930k 3.5Ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
RAM: HyperX Predator 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 4TB x4
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W
Monitor: Acer Predator 28" 4K Monitor

Too much RAM. Get 16gb AT MOST for gaming.

SPU is pointless as well. That is meant for rendering/encoding workstations, not gaming PCs. You are better off with a a cheaper CPU.

The RM PSUs are not very good quality. Change it for an Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA (G2,B2,GS).

For your use, I would get an i7 4790k, 16gb DDR3, Z97 motherboard, EVGA G2 850.

nan_123

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Thankyou for the advice, I probably will get 16GB Ram instead and if I need more I could always get more at a later date. Would i need to swap my motherboard for a different one if I went for the i7 4790k?