Computer Class to Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarcyStaples

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I am 38, a mom ready to go back to work. I have been fixing computers and cell phones for people for years. Taught myself. What kind of computer class should I take to help me be more qualified to get a technological computer job. I graduated from college in 1999, already have a BA. Very interested in computer science and hope to enter the job market. Live in Yakima, WA

utgotye

Admirable
Certs are the easier road, especially if you have prior experience already. Otherwise, with the Bachelor's in your back pocket (regardless of what it's in), you could pursue one or more Associate's degrees in Systems, Security and/or Networking. Having three B.S. degrees myself, that was the path I chose though I was about ten years younger than you when i started. To be honest, given your experience, both paths would probably end up being roughly the same. The Associate's way would allow you to potentially meet some people and possibly get you a position whereby some or all of the costs of the certs would be covered by the company, if you need them at all.

Truth be told, demonstrating that you have practical knowledge and experience is just as good, if not better, at getting your foot in the door.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.