100C Temp on cpu bad in long periods of time?

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
So, iv'e tried out a new Sony Vegas render settings, which takes a few hours to render.
Iv'e noticed my cpu going up in 100% usage, on all cored and a temprature around 100.

Processor : Intel Core i7-4790K

Is it bad for my cpu to reach those tempratures for a long amount of time?

Have also noted that it doen't rellly matter what render setting i use, and that it always is 100C and 100% usage when I'm rendering videos.
So, this is nothing i can fix in case it's bad, just want a answer anyways :)

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

Is this something i should worry about if i do it often?
I render maybe 1-3 hours per day.

EDIT : Heres a picture to better explain. (hope links are allwed.....)
http://imgur.com/TjcOlXe

Intel has a set max temperature for that processor. You're very close (if temps are accurate) to the point your CPU will shut down to prevent damage. If you're only rendering once in a while, it's not going to affect how long it'll last that much. You should consider an aftermarket cooler if this is something you want to keep doing.

Amro Alnajar

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
To my knowledge, this is bad, actually very bad. i use the same processor for editing videos and gaming for extended amounts of time and it never exceeds 70C, in max situations 80C. i think you should check your cooling solutions. What cpu cooler do you use and how many fans do you have in your case?

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

Ah, okay.... Have no idea how to put in parts in a pc :/ :p

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

All coolers are standard. Have not touched them didn't think i would need to since i don't OC.

1 on cpu, 1 front, 1 back i think.

Just gonna add that my pc has 70C temp on desktop with a few applications on.

Amro Alnajar

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
This has nothing with OCing. Rendering/editing videos is a task that will fry your cpu if you're not careful. I recommend using the Coolermaster V8 gts cooler. It works very good for me. take a look at it: http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/35-103-189-TS?$S300$

also, you need to see how many fans intake and how many exhaust. My solution is one 200mm front fan for intake, and 2 140mm exhaust fans on top and rear. The temprature will drop down hopefully. Stock coolers are bad, i have had bad experiences with them. Good luck.

Do you have control over your ambient temperature? Open a window, AC, and try render while the front panel on your case is removed. If all fail, then consider buying an aftermarket cooler, they're usually very easy to install one. There are plenty of of videos out there for all sorts of coolers. And if you're still unsure, you can get great advice here.

^ Won't fry the CPU, they have built in sensors to shut down to prevent damage, when necessary. All is good.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

I think I'm just gonna find a way to make vegas take less temperature instead... :eek: Thanks for the help.

Amro Alnajar

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015

The sensors won't prevent shorting the age of the CPU. they work to shut it down when it reaches a high temp. but it doesn't stop the cpu from getting damaged at least a little bit every time it reaches such temperature.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
That's too hot, you're running very close to the thermal shutdown limit so if your room temperature goes up by a few degrees your system will shut down from the heat. It's also much hotter than Intel recommends for long-term use (79.04C) so the CPU will fail prematurely.

It sounds like you might be using the stock Intel cooler, which is not designed for high load situations in warm climates. You should get at least a decent aftermarket cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo. They're about $35 and it's better to pay that now than have it cost you $300 later.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

Yeah, okay. Will try to get one. I'll have to run my current one for a while though.
My idle temperature is also high. 60-70C

I just want to know that it's safe to run with these temperature for a few hours once in a week.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Quixit is correct. Although the CPU should shut down before instantly killing itself, it is NOT safe to run your CPU at 100. It will most certainly shorten the life of it.