Transferring data from one hard drive to another

ErectFinger

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I want to know if there is an easy way to transfer my files from my old hard drive to my new one without having them both plugged in. I do have two sata cables but one is very short and I would have to rig my hardrive somewhere to transfer the data. I really dont want to reinstall windows and download all my games again. This is probably another dumb question but its late at night and im bored and curious.

Hi there ErectFinger,

You can just clone your current drive on your new one.(assume you are going to use the same system)
You are using a desktop computer right?
As you don't want connect the HDD via SATA, you can just get SATA to USB adapter(with a power source for 3.5'' HDDs), clone the drive, take out your old one and place the new one in.

There are quite a lot of threads on cloning in the forum. I can't really recommend you a specific tool. Also, most of the HDD manufacturers have their own(or brand editions) on their websites.

Keep in mind that it is always a good idea to back up the most important data stored on the drive before this process.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

ErectFinger

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I didnt even think of this, im just gonna rig my old hard drive up and put the new one in the actual hard drive cage, seriously the second cable i have is about 4 inches but if my old drive somehow gets messed up in this process then no worries. Im gonna look into the cloning thing, thank you for being kind to my late night stupidity.