4K 120hz or 144hz monitor for watching TV?

tmc1284

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
I am looking to purchase a monitor which would be used solely for watching TV while working on the computer. I would run an hdmi splitter from my cable box and the monitor would be placed beside the monitor I use for my PC.

I am looking for around 27-32" and I cannot find any TVs 32" or under that are 4K. Would a monitor work well for watching TV and would it give the maximum refresh rate(120hz or 144hz) when using an hdmi input? I've seen monitors which specifications say that the higher refresh rate is achieved only when using a DisplayPort cable.

tmc1284

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014

I have a Tivo box. If most cable boxes only output 30-60hz then how do 120hz native TVs work?

120hz and 240hz TV's take a signal and do motion interpolation to fill in the frames. It's called the "soap opera" effect as it gives the effect the way that some soaps were filmed.

Basically it looks at 2 frames, and then add's extra frames that it determines through algorithms to fill in. So in a 30fps source, it would add 90 more fps to give it a "smoother motion" akin to real life. It's a aquired taste and some people like it, some don't. It works better on some source's than others.

3d TV's are native 120 Hz. 60/60. No 3:2 pulldown required for either 24 or 60 FPS content. Obviously if there is a 24p mode built in, this isn't an issue. There are even 240 Hz displays, the difference is these high refresh rate panels don't accept signals at that frequency.

While the higher refresh rate panels don't accept inputs from an external source such as a PC, it doesn't mean the panel isn't refreshing at a native 120 Hz. The internal processing converts 60 Hz to 120 by either repeating the same frame, OR interpolating. Today, people apparently think that interpolating and repeating frames is the same thing. They are not.