Does DVI look better than RGB?

Solution

I can't remmeber correctly how this worked...i mean you CAN get to a higher resolution with both but it wont look as good as it would normally do. Because im using a DVI-D @ 1440p and see no difference.
If it comes to connecting stuff where you care about how it looks just go for DVI.

Just searched a little bit and found this way:
Everything below 1080p = you can use VGA
1080 - 1440p = DVI
everything higher than that = HDMI

migronesien

Honorable

I can't remmeber correctly how this worked...i mean you CAN get to a higher resolution with both but it wont look as good as it would normally do. Because im using a DVI-D @ 1440p and see no difference.
If it comes to connecting stuff where you care about how it looks just go for DVI.

Just searched a little bit and found this way:
Everything below 1080p = you can use VGA
1080 - 1440p = DVI
everything higher than that = HDMI

Solution

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Well you remember wrong. 1080p is a 16/9 format and it did not exist when vga and dvi was made.

VGA actually support quite high resolution at 3840x1200 it can run at 57Hz and at 3840x2400 it can run 31Hz so the last one will of course flicker.

DVI support up to 2560 × 1600 which is the 16/10 format used for 30" screens at the time

So what many don't know is that when HDMI and 1080p came out, HDMI actually had the lowest resolution.
The new HDMI 2.0 goes up to 4K and for the highest resolutions you need displayport that currenty at version 1.3 goes up to 7680×4320 which is called 8K

But anyway xxdeadspace123xx ask if dvi looks bether than RGB, I asume he means VGA. In VGA there is a bit of quality los, in the digital to analog conversion, so DVI should have a sharper image, but the difference on some computers, is so small, that you cant tell the difference, but on some you can clearly se the diffence. So DVI does not give higher resolution than VGA, but it Wil give you a slightly sharper image.