CPU hit 97 degrees celsius... Help please!

Machado86

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Hey guys, looking for some guidance here please...

So I just got a new rig and installed BF4. Tried it on Ultra settings and it seemed to be running at around 60-70 fps in the in game performance test on 100% resolution scale, was running fine. I pushed the resolution scale to 200% out of curiosity and the performance was sluggish, so tuned it back down right away.

Anyhow, my PC was making a ton of noise, so I alt tabbed and checked RealTemp and my CPU had gone up to 97 degrees (Tjmax is 100).... I then turned everything down to Low Graphics settings with all the extras turned off, and it was still hitting 80-85.

As soon as I exit the game, it drops to 40-50 degrees. Normally I idle around 27-38 degrees. 15 minutes after exit I'm still at 40-44 degrees... No other game on max settings has pushed my CPU temperature so high. I knew BF4 was CPU/GPU intensive but god damn... Now I'm wondering if I've installed my CPU cooler correctly or not, or if I may have a faulty CPU (???)... Surely with my specs I can run this game on at least HIgh without issue?

MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark II
CPU: Intel i5 4690K 3.5Ghz 6MB Cache, LGA 1150 (Haswell)
CPU COOLER:Corsair H55 Water Cooler
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
HDD: Seagate SSHD Hybrid 2TB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
PSU: Corsair RM-850
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 450D
CASE FANS: Corsair AF140 Blue LED (2 at the front bringing in cool air, 2 at the top expelling hot air)

Has anyone had similar experiences and can offer some suggestions here? I don't want to play this game (or anything like it) if its going to burn out my CPU...

the only time this happens is if the cooler is either installed incorrectly or is defective.

Check the cooler installation again. Check especially for mounting the pump/heatsink correctly agaisnt the CPU. Check fan directions and operation.

If this seems OK, then check that one of the pipes leading from the pump to the radiatio is warmer than the other. If not, then you may again suspect the installation or that the pump/cooler is defective.

Machado86

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
So I opened up the case and tightened the 4 screws on the device, it must not have been on tight enough. My fear initially was not to over tighten them at risk of putting too much pressure on the CPU, but in the end it was the the other way around and the CPU wasn't getting cooled properly. You were 100% spot on about the installation of the device being incorrect :)