Major lag spikes only on one computer

That_Guy929

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
Hello all,

Recently, I have experienced many lag spikes when playing online games. I would normally have 60+ FPS and then it would spike down all the way to 10 and under FPS. I didn't notice it a lot at first but it quickly worsen. It literally makes the games unplayable as I have a spike about every 10 seconds.

I switched to my old laptop to see if it was the internet’s fault but to my surprise, it ran smoothly. There were no spikes on my FPS which led to the conclusion that is my computer's fault.

I've tried many possible solutions such as; lowering my graphical settings, switching Ethernet cables, and many others but none of them would solve my issue. I even tried changing settings in the BIOS and doing a restore point to when I did not have this problem yet the lag spikes would still occur. Even when nobody else is using the internet but my computer! All of my main drivers are up to date but I’m not sure if all the smaller drivers (such as audio) are updated.

The specifications of my computer are:

AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5 GHz
ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX
8GB ADATA RAM @ 1600 MHz
1TB Seagate barracuda
Radeon r7 265 (MSI)
EVGA 500 B Power Supply
Windows 8.1 64 bit

*All of my temperatures are in a relatively normal, idling at around 30-40 degrees Celsius and around 60 degrees Celsius during heavy loads.

NOTE: None of my components are overclocked and I have restored the BIOS to default settings EXCEPT for my RAM speed to be at 1600 MHz and Cool 'n' quite mode turned to disable. Another thing is when I'm playing my games, the Ethernet scale in task manager would spike all the way up the scale and down and then back up. On my laptop, it just kept a steady flow. My internet speeds according to speedtest.net are 9ms ping, 28mbps downs, and 2.6mbps ups. I have 0% packet loss and 4ms of jitter according to pingtest.net. Also this graph of my GPU usage is pretty weird when I'm playing online games but I don’t know what causes it (Probably thermal throttling). Here’s an image of it: http://i.imgur.com/UOBp5Vd.jpg. One last thing is when I play for example; League of Legends, only the FPS drops during the spike but not the ping.

Any solutions would be highly appreciated as I don't know how much longer I can survive with the lag spikes.

That_Guy929

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Thank you for your response. I thought the problem had been a networking problem since of the graph. I will try to look through the GPU and CPU forums. Thanks for correcting me as I have pretty much zero knowledge in this field.